10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@blueman)
Topic starter  

How do i tune down a half step.

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Ehm, by using the tuners? Turn them one way and they go up, the other way the tune goes down. Tune them down until they are a half note lower.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If you've got an electronic tuner, no problem - instead of the normal E A D G B E tuning, tune to Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb. If you haven't got a tuner, but can get pretty close - from standard EADGBE, tune the 6th string down so that when you play the 6th fret, it's the same note as the A string open. Then tune the A to the 5th fret of the bottom E, tune the D string to the 5th fret of the A string, the G string to the 5th fret of the D string, the B string to the 4th fret of the G string, and the top E to the 5th fret of the B string.

If you strum an E chord shape now.....

Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb

What you'll hear is an Eb chord.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It sure is helpful to have a chromatic tuner if you ever plan to use anything other than "standard tuning."

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

Vic - wouldn't the 6th fret be A#, don't you mean the 4th fret?

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

yeh he does

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

No he doesn't :lol:

Vic's method: You start by tuning down the 6th string - when the 6th string reaches Eb, its 6th fret will be A

I.e. : in standard tuning put your finger on the 6th fret (sounding A#) and start tuning it down until it sounds like A (5th string)

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Another way
1. Place a capo (or finger) on the first fret and tune as normal to EADGBE.
2. Remove the capo (or finger) and every string will drop a half step.
That's it.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I find that the capo clamps the strings too much to tune accurately with it on... as soon as I take it off the note changes, and if I don't take it off it'll still change, but much more slowly.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

I find that the capo clamps the strings too much to tune accurately with it on... as soon as I take it off the note changes, and if I don't take it off it'll still change, but much more slowly.

Yeah - I know what you mean. Fretting with finger would be better. I have found though that putting the capo on very carefully seems to eliminate most of that problem. But the tuning still sometimes needs a little adjustment after you take it off. Personally, I would just do it Arjen's way :lol:

ReplyQuote