Clear all

unexpected buy- ovation

29 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

i gess it is a touchy subject, as i can see some like and some dislike the ovation....im deffinetly gunna have to give it my own shot....

Do you now understand why I said to test it out to answer your own questions? :wink:

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I own an Ovation as my "main" guitar at the moment so maybe I can contribute. Mine is a Celebrity. Unplugged it sounds ok. Its not bad.. but it is thin. It doesnt sound nearly as full as my good ol fashion acoustic. Plugged in though, it sounds terrific. I wouldnt classify it as bluesy or Jazzy but it can make both sounds very well. It has a very clean tone that I like and it has a built in chromatic tuner which I very much like.

On the down side. I cant stand the tuners. They are very cheap, in my opinion. Its really the ONLY thing I cant stand but I pretty much hate them.

The bowl shape takes some getting used to because when your a fatty like me your tummy gets in the way.. But after a couple weeks it wasnt a problem. Plugged in.. it sounds just as good as my solid top even with the plastic back.

Good luck and let us know what you think.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I wouldnt classify it as bluesy or Jazzy but it can make both sounds very well. It has a very clean tone that I like and it has a built in chromatic tuner which I very much like.

thanks man thats what i really wanted to know if it had a nice jazzy sound...and yes i will probably test it out sometime early next week all make a new post and let all you guys know what i think about it...

thanks alot everyone :D

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I couldnt get a jazzy tune out of a jazzy paper bag :lol: but my teachers main style is jazz and he really likes my guitar and yes, he can get a jazzy sound out of it.

Not sure its so much the guitar as the person playing it.. but he can

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

You know, I have heard it said about Ovation guitars, either you love them or you hate them.

Or in Nick's case - both. He posted a thread somewhere about how he hated them for various reasons, and then he ran across one that amazed him, and he's now a convert.

Just go play it - and share your opinion with us.

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I envy you since I wish I could find a good deal on an Ovation cutaway.

This won't help your GAS at all Mike, but ...

Ovation CC026

That's the one I'm going to try to get.

Jason[/url]

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

The motherlode of ovation information is at:

http://www.ovationfanclub.com

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@jetsolo)
Estimable Member

I had one for a few months, the electronics inside fell and it rasped the bottom of the bowl. Plugged in , they sound great - but if you are looking for a good tone, stick with a pure wood guitar or with a pickup.

Check out harmony central, the model I had , had an issue with the neck seperating from the bowl.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I've owned a Ovation S771 guitar for several years. It has the medium depth bowl. I like it a lot. It has a nice warm tone. But with the built in pre-amp and eq you can get just about any tone you are looking for. The craftsmanship of the guitar is excellent. It has a fast neck and nice low action.

Ovation S771

I have never had too much trouble with mine sitting down, but I play standing up most of the time anyway.

Mine sounds good plugged or unplugged.

These guitars are right in the middle. They offer better quality and tone than cheaper acoustics, but they do not have the tone of a $3000 Martin.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

The bowl shape takes some getting used to because when your a fatty like me your tummy gets in the way..

Geoo

So geoo...Ya getting a bit of dickie doo? You know when you belly sticks out farther than your dickie do! :lol: :lol: :lol: (Sorry I just had to do it! I apologize if it offended you!)
I envy you since I wish I could find a good deal on an Ovation cutaway.

This won't help your GAS at all Mike, but ...

Ovation CC026

That's the one I'm going to try to get.

Jason[/url]

You just did that on purpose! I am going to have to file for bankrupcy and find a new apartment since my rent isn't getting paid! :roll: :roll:

But I am also looking at this Ibanez Electric Acoustic. I played it at Daddy's junky Music and it real nice...

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Mikespe..

ROFL No, you didnt offend me. Still laughing a bit.

The bowl shape is a different feel on an Ovation and it takes some getting used to. At first it would easily slip off my knee, but now I dont even think about it.

Geoo

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I've owned a Ovation S771 guitar for several years.
Ah, that's the one! I played it a month ago at GC but didn't remember the model. "Low action and fast neck" is right! I was very impressed - it is definitely the one I'd get next, if only I could afford another ...

BTW, I see these on Ebay at a good price (~US$500 with case) but it says they are "factory refurbished." Any idea what is typically involved with a refurbishing of these guitars? Are they known to have particular problems?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

slejhamer

If I had to guess (and I would :D ), I would think that these are guitars that have been returned for one reason or another. This does not mean there is anything necessarily wrong with the guitar, just maybe the purchaser wasn't happy with it.

I have heard of Ovations having a problem with the bowl seperating, but I am not sure what model(s) that might have been. I have never had a problem with mine, had it about 3-4 years now.

These guitars might have had minor scratches on the top or back that had to be polished out. I would guess that as the most likely reason.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Thanks Wes - I'm sure you're right, probably something minor kept them from being "A" stock.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2