Upgrading Squier Af...

Notifications
Clear all

Upgrading Squier Affinity Strat

24 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@savage)

Of course, if you can afford it, I guess there's nothin wrong with buyin a better guitar. I was just responding to the idea of upgrading yer strat. I mean its a pretty cheap and easy process...but I guess it depends on yer wallet. My wallet ain't got much in it, so I usually try to make do with what I got.

Andy P.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

I own 3 Standard series squiers. 1 from 2003, 1 from 2004, and 1 from 2005. I can honestly say that the quality goes up the newer the guitar gets. The 2003 strat has a high fret, soft body wood(see my post in the repair forum), and bad pickups. The 2005 Tele, however, is almost flawless, for a $200 guitar. The pickups, however, needed replacing in all 3 guitars. After that, though, you've got a great guitar for the price.

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I think I might have found a used MIM standard strat for $250 that seems in reasonable condition. I'm trying to decide if I'll be ok with that or if I want a humbucker - I also found a used Pacifica 112 for $120. I remember reading somewhere on these forums where someone said something like " I used to think humbucker vs. single coil really made a difference," but there's so much between the guitar and the speakers (the whole effects chain), that it probably doesn't matter that much."

Hmmm. Decisions, decisions.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Nothing wrong with upgrading pickups. I did it a number of times and one guitar I stripped down to the body and built a new guitar around it, new neck and all.

Amazing what a fresh pickup can do for a bland sounding cheap guitar. Carvin twin blade pickups sound nice and are not expensive.

Sometimes in the end going crazy working on a guitar can add up to 'you could have bought a better guitar' but it is all what you want, what you can afford as you go along and if you like tinkering around working on things or not.

I finally took the plunge and bought a fender deluxe, so I am done playing around taking guitars apart and can sell some of them off. 8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member

I was thinking about buying me the new squire stratocaster. The shop wanted 330$ for it? Am I being ripped of or? And would you recommend it for a beginner/intermediate? Any amps that would go nice with it? (Cheap ones)

Sorry if this is a little oftopic, but I just searched for fender squire :)

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

ReplyQuote
(@mark-taylor)
Estimable Member

Here's the upgrade I did. Squire Affinity. blocked tremolo for better sustain. Bought a set of cheap hummers off ebay already mounted to faceplate and switched it out. It has a lot more bottom end and rings forevery now. With a coil tap, I can even get single sounds.

Mark

You can ride a Yamaha, or play a Yamaha, it is up to you.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

I was thinking about buying me the new squire stratocaster. The shop wanted 330$ for it? Am I being ripped of or? And would you recommend it for a beginner/intermediate? Any amps that would go nice with it? (Cheap ones)

$330 is the list price for Squier standard strat. Like cameras and other electronic goods, no one ever actually pays that. There should be a street price around $200.
Behringer (Arjen/mikespe will know which one), Vox AD15 and Roland Microcube and cubes are all decent relatively cheap amps.

The new Indonesian made Standards are decent guitars and the gap between them and the Mexican is minimal to non-existent. If you must have a strat and don't have much money, they are probably the best deals in the Fender range at the moment.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member

Thank you for the answer, Primeta :)

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member

I have a squire affinity and would like to say that it's probably the best guitar in its price range.
I have moded mine with straplocks a cheapie humbucker (and black pickguard) and a set of locking gotoh tuners, all in all it was maybe 100 bucks extra. I've used it for several live shows and its never let me down, the sound isn't bad. The main reason that I use this guitar is that when I first picked it up it felt right. it was the perfect size, just the right weight not to heavy but you can still tell it feels solid, and also I think that the neck was made for me. All in all I think it's a great piece.

oh and if you want to change out pickups the body (on mine at least, 2001 model) was already routed out for a bridge and neck humbucker. and the wiring compartments are rather spacious. thin body and all.

wherever you go, there you are.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2