Clear all

What the.....?

33 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Now, now, let's chill out a bit.

I don't really see anyone's post here directed specifically at someone else.

I edited the title, although I can see how you wouldn't think about that when you are really angry.

Let's get back on topic.

ReplyQuote
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member

Thank you nick. and yes the profanity on this site should end i believe. but thats beside the point. and also maybe you should try going solo. cuz heres the thing. when you learn an instument it opens doors to other instuments. ibelieve that guitar opens those doors a little bit wider than other intruments(it did for me at least). my point in saying is that if your realy good at guitar you should know bass cuz (hoping not to be offensive to any bass players. i'm one and don't find this ofensive. that could be because i'm mainly a guitar player) easyer than guitar (again in my mind). drums can also come with it...althought it may be harder for you to learn.
i hope i helped and GIT SNAKE BIT my friends

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

ReplyQuote
(@havocdragon)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Glad you came to your senses. You will probobly have plenty more oppurtunities, you just have to be on the lookout. If you have to much trouble, then convince your friends to learn. It may take a while till you can play detailed stuff, but a lot of kids have natural talent for the other instruments you would need in a band, mainly bass and drums. I don't know your age, but I'm gonna guess your in school still. Does your school have a band? Recruit the percussionist. Tuba players? They could probobly pick up a bass and figure it out. Hope that helps 8)

Hehe, actually I am 26. It's cool though, I will keep looking, I just need to refine my search strategies as it seems to be slim pickins around here (and I am in seattle so that shouldnt be right lol).

What are the best ways to search for bands?

Many animals were harmed in the making of this signature.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I was thinking you were in either high or college. My bad...

Well, Put out flyers is a good start.
Classifieds in the paper...

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

You should try to hang out at all the local gigging spots around town and meet people.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

What you should really be doing, is going to these auditions looking to see if the band and it's members are right for you. That way if you see a band as unprofessional, like this one, then it's no big loss.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Glad you came to your senses. You will probobly have plenty more oppurtunities, you just have to be on the lookout. If you have to much trouble, then convince your friends to learn. It may take a while till you can play detailed stuff, but a lot of kids have natural talent for the other instruments you would need in a band, mainly bass and drums. I don't know your age, but I'm gonna guess your in school still. Does your school have a band? Recruit the percussionist. Tuba players? They could probobly pick up a bass and figure it out. Hope that helps 8)

Hehe, actually I am 26. It's cool though, I will keep looking, I just need to refine my search strategies as it seems to be slim pickins around here (and I am in seattle so that shouldnt be right lol).

What are the best ways to search for bands?

Well be where musicians are. Bars, music stores, open mics, benefit concerts, that kind of things. Sound around to friends at parties that you'd be interested, you never know where you'll find someone.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

Join and play for any lame band you can, play some gigs, thats where you meet serious musicians. I met more people in 3 gigs with my last band than I did in 3 weeks on the net or with flyers. It also shows you jave some cajones if you can get face to face with people about things.

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote
(@havocdragon)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Join and play for any lame band you can, play some gigs, thats where you meet serious musicians. I met more people in 3 gigs with my last band than I did in 3 weeks on the net or with flyers. It also shows you jave some cajones if you can get face to face with people about things.

Yeah I have actually considered that...I have sent a few emails to bands that arent sepectacular, but hopefuly they can grow, or at least give me some live experience :wink:

Many animals were harmed in the making of this signature.

ReplyQuote
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member

I'm thinking you are better off without them,keep on trying, not all bands are a fit and sometimes losing is actually winning
"I'd never go out with a woman who liked me"

GG

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Perhaps they were telling you straight. Perhaps they chose the other guitarist simply because he or she lives closeby. Although you were willing to drive the long 40 miles, the likelihood that you would miss or be late for practices is higher simply because you live a long distance away. The likelihood of the other guitarist showing up on time every week is higher.

Now, this might completely backfire. Perhaps this local guy will show up late and miss practices, where you might have showed up on time or even early every week.

But a serious band is looking for someone willing to make a commitment. There is nothing worse than wasting a couple of months practicing with someone who suddenly decides to drop out or starts showing up late.

My band auditioned a new singer last night. I have been doing all the singing. I sing well, but my range is limited. I cannot sing high (but I can do Johnny Cash or Bruce Springsteen great).
There are some songs like Guns and Roses we would like to do, but no way I can sing in Axl's range. So we put an ad on Harmony Central. We have gotten two responses.

Last night the first guy showed up. He lived about 25 miles away and got there about ONE HOUR late. We always start on time. In fact, we did start when he finally showed up. Once he got there he was pretty darn good, especially for his first try.

But you can't help but worry. He has to drive a long way. Will he be late every practice? Can we depend on him? So, it is not talent only.

THE GREATEST ABILITY IS DEPENDABILITY 8)

We liked this guy a lot. He was nice and sang pretty great. But next week the other person is coming. Now if he shows up on time, lives close-by, and sings pretty well, who do you think we will pick??

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

I agree with Wes, being dependable is sometimes more important than being good, there is a local band around here called "The Hi-Frequency's" and I'm pretty good friends with their lead guitarist, they were looking for a lead vocalist and actually found a guy from Chicago! Fantastic voice willing to travel, the whole nine yards! The only problem is that the logistics of having him means that they can only play a limited number of dates a year. Amazing that some how they seem to be making it work, but being able to see them is hard. I can't tell you how many times I've been in groups that start out great but once it starts to involve a commitment (practicing,getting gigs,etc...) that the enthusiasm seems to wane, and it gets frustrating and you start expecting the worst....

I know of about five or six people that want to play around with me and I say "Sure, When and where?" And I'm still waiting for an answer....

But I have a core or friends around me that I get together with on a semi-regular basis and we have a great time! Took a while,but there it is!

Yeah, its easy to get a little excited and lose control over what you say, but you gotta remember where you're at! Me, personaly,got a mouth like a garbage can, but I like to think that I have enough respect for every one who reads and uses these forums and that it's reciprocated. I'd hate to think that some one gets thier opinion of me when I'm angry and saying something that's out of caracture for me. jmho! I have enough problems dealing with the stuff I did when I was younger and angry!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

Me, personaly,got a mouth like a garbage can, but I like to think that I have enough respect for every one who reads and uses these forums and that it's reciprocated.

I must say this is one of the reasons I've stuck with this forum, good friendly and easy on the eyes in terms of language. There are sites out there that have more information but I can't wade through all the trash talk.

I recently bought a "popular" guitar mag and after reading through some of the first article I threw it away for the very reason of the language. I just don't care to see it.

All this to say, thanks to those who watch what and how they say things on this board. I really appreciate it. 8)

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I must say this is one of the reasons I've stuck with this forum, good friendly and easy on the eyes in terms of language.

Same here. I, not so long ago, was really bad about my language and its just in the past few months that I have gotten it under control. Honestly, it doesnt even bother me much if I hear it in a face to face setting. But I really hate visiting messageboards with stuff like that.

But in this case I think even the original poster said that it just got away from him and I can totally understand that, esp when someone offers an apology.

I think being a parent often changes your attitude on this. I have had a real problem with my teen and bad language. I know part of it is me and his mother, part is the messageboards he visits, and part is just the society he lives in (School and such) but it sure does take you back when your 13 year old says something he shouldnt.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Find a drummer who hopefully lives nearby. You'll practice at his/her house as is the custom. After you two gel a bit put an ad out for another member or two. With a garage band I played in we started in the exact opposite order. We got two guitar players, a bass player, and another guitar player. We put an ad out for a drummer but it was clear that should have been done very early.

Keep us posted on your band hunt. Generally it's not a whole lot of fun. Eventually you'll get what you've been lookin' for! :wink:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3