Whatchya Learnin Now?

66 Posts
54 Users
0 Likes
12 K Views
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

"Sitting waiting wishing" Jack Johnson.

The guitars easy but the vocal melody is a nightmare to get right!

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Studying Kirk Lorange's "Plane Talk" book and DVD. Excellent stuff, even better than I expected after reading Nick's review on GN.

Started working on some alternative-tuning Christmas songs, including some of the Celtic stuff Doug Sparling has posted. I know, it's only April, but I'm slow.

And, just for fun, "Killing in the Name" by Rage Against the Machine. Funky little riff!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

"Sitting waiting wishing" Jack Johnson.

The guitars easy but the vocal melody is a nightmare to get right!Aye, I gave that one a shot, but I've moved on to other things for the time being as that one will take all my time for quite a while to get right :/

I'm currently trying to find an arrangement for Audioslave's "Like a Stone" that suits my vocal range, and it's the same problem tenfold. I've already changed the single note melody to full chords and shifted it down 5 frets, and it's still got bits I can't manage cleanly... I might have to add this one to the come-back-when-you're-better list as well :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Started working on some alternative-tuning Christmas songs, including some of the Celtic stuff Doug Sparling has posted. I know, it's only April, but I'm slow....or well-prepared, depending how you spin it :)
And, just for fun, "Killing in the Name" by Rage Against the Machine. Funky little riff!Is that the first one on the album? It's been so long that I only remember them all as "the one that goes da da da" :) If it's the same one, I used to race my bassist on that little opening riff while we waited for everyone else in the band to stop bickering... great fun :)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Started working on some alternative-tuning Christmas songs, including some of the Celtic stuff Doug Sparling has posted. I know, it's only April, but I'm slow....or well-prepared, depending how you spin it :)

LOL, you give me too much credit. Slow it is! Actually my goal is to learn to play them without the music in front of me; I do okay when I've got the tabs, but I really want to be able to pick up the guitar and play a bunch of these Holiday songs. Time and practice, time and practice ...

And, just for fun, "Killing in the Name" by Rage Against the Machine. Funky little riff!Is that the first one on the album? It's been so long that I only remember them all as "the one that goes da da da" :) If it's the same one, I used to race my bassist on that little opening riff while we waited for everyone else in the band to stop bickering... great fun :)

It definitely goes "da da da" but a lot of Rage songs did that. :lol:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

LOL, you give me too much credit. Slow it is! Actually my goal is to learn to play them without the music in front of me; I do okay when I've got the tabs, but I really want to be able to pick up the guitar and play a bunch of these Holiday songs. Time and practice, time and practice ...

I know that one. I'm writing my own simple version of a wiki at the moment just so that I haev access to a list of things I can play. I can manage about 10 or so without anything in front of me, but I can only ever remember a couple when I get the chance :) Might have to tape a list to the inside of my gig bag or something....

It definitely goes "da da da" but a lot of Rage songs did that. :lol:Aye, they did indeed. I'm just hitting up kazaa to relive a few of them. Been listening to stuff that's too soft for a while now :lol:

*Edit: Ahh, damn my feeble memory, it was Bombtrack I was thinking of :roll: *

*Edit 2: Hmmm, I'm fairly sure I didn't type 'darn'... :lol: *

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5