Clear all

Which amp?

14 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'd like a low wattage amp for recording, and I was wondering what should i get: a solid state amp( such as a roland or a vox pathfinder) and get effects such as overdrive etc. or get a tube amp. ive heard that solid state amps are more stable(such as a Roland jazz Chorus), but the best clean amp ever is a Fender twin reverb. Can anybody help me?

Stairway to Freebird!

(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

the fender twin is really really really loud. It doesnt really overdrive, it just gets louder. If you need the volume, get it.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I got a Behringer GMX-212 $259.00, they also make a 210, and 110 with the same features. I use it for recording mostly. go to my web site and listen to "noah let the dog out" I recorded the lead guitars (2 tracks) on audacity on a lap top pc( noah Roberts did the backing track) I went direct but i can also mic it, or do both at the same time.-the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

yah... I dont want the twin because its loud and expensive. I was thinking more like a 15 watt solid state or 5 watt tube.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Smokingdog: cool, got the same amp as well. The GM110 would be a perfect home practice amp. Throw in a small multi-effect and you're good to go.

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

How about the Fender Blues Jr.?

Great little amp, not sure how it would be for your recording since I don't know how you plan on doing your recording.

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

yeah check out the pro jr and blues jr....small tube amps that sound really good.

- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

yeah check out the pro jr and blues jr....small tube amps that sound really good.

- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Are the Blues jr and pro jr good clean amps?

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Emphasize on finding your own sound. What do you have for idea's on what you want to sound like. Then visualize the configurations of components for building an effective guitar rig. Finding your own sound can be a fun, through in the some experiment, and countless hours practicing. It is important to look and sound great. Think of the equipment as an investment into your future.

Everyone pretty well knows what my answer will be. Tube amp, equalizer, and attenuator. then effectively combining them to give you that great guitar sound. All amps sound different and that has to be taken into account.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

For recording, the V-amp, and Pod, and other similar devices are very useful. You can run them straight into the computer without an amp, or get a small amp to go along with it. Lots of effects, good distortion. Clean volume is low, but if you had an amp to go with it, then you could easily fix that.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I'd like a low wattage amp for recording, and I was wondering what should i get: a solid state amp( such as a roland or a vox pathfinder) and get effects such as overdrive etc. or get a tube amp. ive heard that solid state amps are more stable(such as a Roland jazz Chorus), but the best clean amp ever is a Fender twin reverb. Can anybody help me?

Depends on the music you do - I like the clean sound on my Pathfinder, and it sounds great with my Tonelab SE in front. But, I wouldn't use it without an effects box for anything but clean or mildly overdriven crunch.

If you want a really good moderate wattage tube amp with a "fenderish" clean and a really nice overdriven sound, Check out a Traynor YCV20. I had a chance to extensively test drive one recently, and it's number one on my "next buy" list.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Do note that recording a tube amp is a lot harder then a SS/digital amp/device. As for best clean amp: to me that would never ever be a fender. As a matter of fact, it wouldn't be a guitar amp at all. I've never ever seen a guitar amp that didn't change the sound a bit.

What I'd do: get yourself a Hi-Fi poweramp, a effects unit (for example on of the TC Electronics units) and a digital modeling pre-amp Line6). Nothing will give you this much control over your sound, and nothing will give you a cleaner sound then the pre-amp on non-modeling straight into the poweramp. Sounds perfect at every volume, covers everything from ultra clean to ubermetal. Make sure your poweramp has no tubes in them, they'll fuck up your carefully created effects/modeled sound. All tubes gone? Great, plug it into the mixer and record your stuff.

Ofcourse, others will suggest getting a tube amp, using seperate devices to bring it to proper volumes, spending hour after hour getting that mic placed correctly. Then switching between clean and overdrive is near impossible without volume changes, unless you want to use a seperate distortion pedal. But then you're spending $1000+ on an all-tube amp only to place a $30 solidstate pedal in front of it, which seems pretty darn pointless to me.

We'll suggest different things, so you best write it all down and try it for yourself. Remember: all ears suck but yours!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

ok, I think I'm gonna go with the vox, then get (separate) effects. Its not always gonna be for recording, but when I do record, I might go ahead and try out a POD.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote