Worst Guitar Center...

Notifications
Clear all

Worst Guitar Center experience ever

34 Posts
30 Users
0 Likes
(@davidhodge)

I don't think that anyone is saying he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. I think that (and my original posting intent was) that there are always multiple sides of any story. If you don't consider all the sides you're bound to take things personally. And it's only when you take it personally that it becomes something that you want to rant about.

That's not to say that sometimes it isn't personal, or close to personal, as in Teleplayer's story. But usually pushy salespeople are simply that, pushy salespeople. They treat everyone that way.

The moment you feel personally put upon by a salesperson, or anyone or anything for that matter, you need to step back and figure out why. Chances are more than likely that it's not about you and that your feelings, mixed into the situation, are just going to make matters even harder to deal with.

Whether you like it or not (and ask any of the folks who know me where I fall on this subject), we live in a capitalistic world and a store is a store. It exists to sell a product and that's all.

Being left handed, I've had to scrape by and cultivate relationships with store owners wherever I live. Being a teacher, getting along with store owners is a huge plus because they can refer students to you. So you treat them with respect and go with their store policies. Or you simply find someplace you like and can deal with.

I don't feel that you can go into anyplace and expect superb service and knowledge. Interacting with people on a daily basis teaches you that some folks take a lot of pride in doing something well and some folks, most folks, just go through the motions. It's not personal, it's how they get through the day. In their own minds they are also sensitive artists and what-have-you, just doing a job so that they can get on with their "real" lives.

Relationships have to be worked at. They just don't happen. Think of your own friends. Chances they are some that you didn't like at first or that other friends of yours wonder what you see in them. You work at it. It's the same thing in the professional world.

Once you can get past taking things personally, you can usually deal with anyone. Or you can make the choice to not deal with people you'd prefer not to deal with. As has been written here, there's always another game in town. Especially since we all have Internet access.

You're right in that every incident is an individual and different. And I think that's why some folks have posted viewpoints that come from the salesperson's side. After all, the more possible reasons you have for someone's behaviour, the easier not to simply write it off as a typical incident and thus stereotype a whole store, corporation or single person.

And I did not intend for this to be anywhere near as long and rambling as I think it probably is! Bottom line: Don't take things personally and if you run into a pushy salesperson, find another store or visit the store when he (and it's almost always a "he," no?) isn't working! :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

Whoah, I feel like I've been in a Dale Carnegie class after that post.

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

THe only time Ive ever Asked to play a guitar in a store was last week I asked the guy at the shop if I could play the Lacquer black 70SG without one ding behind the counter on a restored Fender Twin. But were talking about playing on 10k worth of equipment that couldnt be replaced. Guitar center is different. their markup on guitars is 300% on some models. They charge something like 20% over MSRP. If I took a 2k Les Paul off the wall, slammed it into an amp and snapped the neck off, they could sell it for a profit if they parted out the bridge and pickups. ANd "dinging" a retail guitar... pssht. Ive had my jackson here for 2 years now... and it has one ding in it from when I dropped my bass on it the other day, so im betting the average wear on a store guitar is minimal to none... You would almot have to cut at one with a knife to do irrepairable damage to the worthless baked on finishes most guitars in medium price brackets have. So I have 0 sympathy for these people that run music stores being an arse about guitars.

Oh, and My GC Story, I was at GC... I used to shop there a lot before i got screwed... but anyway, i was sitting in their bass area playing some new stuff id never seen, becuse I want to play EVERYTHING In case I find something I like, and a sales dude comes over and says "Hey, so, are you even going to buy anything?" And I say "Nah, Im gonna be stealing the 50bucks in strings in my bag here you know, cuz they were good enough to give me a free receipt at the counter." and he never came back :D

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Great post Mr.H.
i agree, you have to nurture relationships with salespeople just like anyone else. the first few times i went into the local MF (now owned by GC) i was put off by a salesgirl who decided that i should buy an expensive case for an inexpensive guitar. a few weeks later i noticed she didn't work there anymore.

Since then i've built a relationship with one of the store managers and i go to him exclusively. There have been some bumps in the road but overall he takes good care of me.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3