Clear all

wow, someone help me!

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

ok so maybe this post isn't as urgent as the title, but here's my question. Let's say I want to write a song, in a major key. What chords can I use?? I have read the article, The Power of Three, and what I take from that is this: I can use all the chords that I can make with triads which include a few minor chords and one diminished chord. Am I getting this right? But then does that contradict what I already know about the I-IV-V progression (in the key of E : E-A-B). If I go by the rule in the article shouldn't one of these be a minor? Also then, when do I use suspended chords or 7ths/9ths etc., I'm guessing i can just replace those with the root chord, ie- instead of playing an E, play an Esus4 and just play around. I'm really confused and any direction would be great.

PS- I know major scales, and to keep things simple now, can we try to stick with answers that stay in the major scale? I'll work on the minor scale too. Thanks guys.

wow I really need a theory book.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@alangreen)

Yes, you're getting it right. there will be three major chords, three minor chords and a diminished chord.

No - one of the three primary chords will not be minor.

E is made from the notes E, G# and B -> E to G# being a major third
A is made from the notes A, C# and E -> A to C# being a major third
B is made from the notes B, D# and F# -> B to D# being a major third

And you'll notice that those three chords contain all the notes in your Major scale, which is why they work as they do.

When do you use extensions or suspensions? That's up to you, really. Too many, though, and it'll sound overdone. 7ths likewise - although B7 would be good to use any time you need a B chord followed by an E - it's called a perfect cadence in classical theory - and those on E and A will need to be Emaj7 and Amaj7 unless you want tosound bluesy.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@guitargeek-9)

ok heres a tip, try to harmonize the major scale, that way say in the key of E:

1st chord :E Major
2nd chord: F# minor
3rd chord: G# minor
4th chord: A major
5th chord: B major
6th chord: C# minor
7th chord: D# diminished

you can arrange these chords in any pattern, but if you wnat to do it in any other key, you gotta figure it out.
dominant chords are I-IV-V
subdominant are II-III-VI and again, you can arange these chords in any order you like. the possibilities are endless, goodluck

Rock on.

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, thanks a bunch guys, you have no idea how much this helps. Apparantley I must be learning something, even though I know its a long road. And thanks for the quick responses to, I guess that's just how it's done on guitarnoise. Now off to experiment. Thanks again.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@guitargeek-9)

any time, and yea thats how we guitarists do. good luck bro

Rock on.

ReplyQuote
(@tkn_dk)
Trusted Member

I have a slightly related chord question, so I'll put it in here. If I make up a chord progression that sounds good what are the chances of it making any theoretical sense? For example I've taken to playing E Esus4 Dadd6add9 (the Horse chord :P) E. Does it make sense that that sounds good to me or do I just have weird ears?

All I want is food and creative love.

ReplyQuote