Clear all

Wrist pain?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sullivandf)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Recently I'v been experiencing some discomfort in my left (fretting) wrist. I've had it to some degree for a while now but it seems to be getting worse. It seems to be worse when I'm working on more complex chord formations or barre chords. I'm sure the answer is to take a break for awhile but since I just started taking lessons, I can't stand the thought of taking a break right now. I only practice for about an hour a day.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this same problem? What did you do? Did it go away over time?

Thanks

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Ha , ur a beginner right.So how many weeks.How many hours?Just cool it down cause yes i also feel pain in my wrist and i am sure even nick and david hodge feel that time to time.Till you develop some finger strength and clench your teeth and practice no way you will feel comfortable.You can't run before you walk.You gonna fall.Give it time. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

It seems to be worse when I'm working on more complex chord formations or barre chords... I just started taking lessons

Well, the most obvious suggestion to me is that your teacher has got you onto complex chord forms and hasn't once looked at your fretting hand position whilst you're doing it.

At your next lesson, you should mention it right at the start when he asks you how you got on with the stuff from the previous lesson.

Any kind of pain is wrong - deal with it at lessons before you need to deal with it under anaesthetic.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Check your playing position. A low slung guitar puts the fretting wrist in a terribly strained position. So does one sitting propped on the thigh with the neck low and angled forward. The closer you get to the classical guitarists' position, guitar body high, the neck angled upward and close to the body, the better your biomechanics will be.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote