Clear all

Yet another techincal question

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

ok here we go once again please dont post to say "well u need to practice" but if u know something that will help than thanks
here it is 14h16p14p12 its to far for 3 fingers and im pinky isnt strong enuff to do it i dunno seems next to impossible to me its from the Purple Haze solo if u wanna take a look at what im talking about....thanks

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

(@davidhodge)

Some things you can count on -

1) Everyone has different size hands, so there are lots of folks that can make this stretch.

2) You have to work with what you've got. If you can't make the stretch, then you have to adapt what's going on and live with your choices of arrangement

For instance, if this phrase is played on the high E string, then you should know that the note at the twelfth fret of the high E is also at the seventeenth fret of the B, so you could play this like so:

E - 14 - h16 - p14 - - - - - - - -
B - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 17 - - -

Is it the same? No. Is it going to sound the same? To most people, yes.

You could also use your index finger to play the notes at 14 and then slide down to 12:

14h16p14s12

There are all sorts of ways to play things. Simply noodling around can be a big help. If you live and die by the TABs and don't take the time to experiment and learn your instrument (as well as what works for you), then you have to deal with this everytime you find a "difficult" TAB.

3) Your pinky will get stronger with practice. It's obvious that you don't want to hear that but it's still the truth. One thing that will help more than anything is giving yourself a good attitude. Start by saying you "pinky isnt strong enough to do it - yet." That may seem a little thing, but it's probably the most important aspect of learning the instrument. Things you may not be able to do now, you will probably learn to do at some point. But certainly not if you don't give it a fair shot.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i like that slide idea alot i have pretty normal sized hands and can reach its just strange

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I think there's a typo in David's post... 12th fret high E is the E note - that's on the 17th fret of the B string (the 15th fret is D)

You should also try different combinations of fingers. You might be able to use 123 fingering, or 124. You might be able to keep your index finger off the string for the 14-16 hammer, then tip your wrist back, place the index, and pull off to 12.

And to take David's thought a step further, you could play the whole thing on the B string - then it's a 19-h21-p19-p17, which is a lot closer together.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

I think there's a typo in David's post... 12th fret high E is the E note - that's on the 17th fret of the B string (the 15th fret is D).

Note to self - never post after teaching ten hours straight! :wink:

Thanks, Tom!

Peace

ReplyQuote