How do you say I miss you to an answering machine

Peacy
Jicky

Wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Visit The Best Show on WFMU at wfmu.org

ReplyQuote
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member

oh and the best way to say anything to an answering machine is to tune to an open A major

Peacypeace
Jick Jacksonian

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

The 3rd pic up; is that a Gibson or an Eagle? I have an Eagle identical to that one, very nice sounding guitar, excellent low action too! :D

ReplyQuote
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member

The 3rd pic up; is that a Gibson or an Eagle? I have an Eagle identical to that one, very nice sounding guitar, excellent low action too! :D

Which one are you asking about?

Jicky

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

Dang Jick, that is one heck of a collection. I've posted a bunch of my gear in the past, but here's a recent pic.

The purple one is one I just finished and is really nice. It's an '88 Malmsteen neck (scallopped rosewood) with a Warmoth body (alder / quilted maple top) dyed purple, purple fender pickguard, and lollar blonde pickups. In the background is my sonic blue Malmsteen strat (also an '88), nearly stock except for the tortoise-shell pickguard. The amp is a '66 Princeton Reverb.

TZ

ReplyQuote
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member

Dang Jick, that is one heck of a collection. I've posted a bunch of my gear in the past, but here's a recent pic.

TZ

Thanks! I have more here but I can't find my camera--I also have about 8 of them at our "practice" space. I'll try to get some pics next time I get around over there...I think I found a few more pics on my laptop--I'll post what I can find. It's kind of fun!

PS love the finish on the purple one. Maybe you could make one for Prince!

Peace,
Jick

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

OK I'll post a few,

A few more comin' i gots ta scale em down...

Peace out
Jick

So you put a Bigsby on the Slingshot? What bridge did you use, and did it change the tone much? I have a Bugeye metallic top Slingshot and a bunch of parts I bought from Reverend -- including a Bigsby and some pups. I was going to put the Bigsby on Squier '51 with a pair of Revtrons, but now I'm wondering if the Bigsby might go better on the 'S'shot.

I've already put a Reverend P90 into another Squier '51: Nasty!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member

So you put a Bigsby on the Slingshot? What bridge did you use, and did it change the tone much? I have a Bugeye metallic top Slingshot and a bunch of parts I bought from Reverend -- including a Bigsby and some pups. I was going to put the Bigsby on Squier '51 with a pair of Revtrons, but now I'm wondering if the Bigsby might go better on the 'S'shot.

I've already put a Reverend P90 into another Squier '51: Nasty
Truth be told, I'd say put the bigsby on the fender; when I mounted the bigsby and replaced the bridge (I didn't put rollers on but use graphtech saddles instead) I put some research into it, including a couple of emails with Joe Naylor. Naylor used to sell the Slingshot with a bigsby so they had the parts. I think I mentioned in a diff thread that when I made the conversion I bought the parts directly from Reverend before they went overseas. You have to remember that the slingshot only has a narrow solid piece going through the body. If you were to use a different bridge or tailpiece you better check first on what you're screwing into. I put a fake bigsby on a semi-hollow 335 copy when I was a teenager and quickly found out why it was a bad idea :( quick way to detune...

Anyway, to answer your question I used the existing bridge plate holes but not the bridge. The original bridge is like most hardtails with an up turned rear (it makes them stronger, and provides an endpoint for the strings) The basic plate fit into the bridge holes so it worked fine. I did have to drill three holes for the bigsby if I find my freakin camera I'll show you. The downsides: The addition of the tremolo really changed the sustain of this guitar, one of the main reasons I love it so. It also interfered with tuning when playing lots of string bends which any trem will do but I put some stiff frickin springs in this. (Think Son Volt vs Eddie Van Halen. I'm on the Son Volt Side :) ) The tone remained relatively the same but maybe a tad darker. The loss of sustain is the killer. I don't know about reverend pups but I've owned three reverends and never felt the need to change out th HBs or P90s

I don't dive bonb or do crazy tricks with any trem but the slingshot's better without it. I will have a few holes to fill but I'm taking the bigsby off. It's a brilliant guitar that just needs to be played and it damn near plays itself sometimes :)

I hope these folks can make a good guitar but they are definitely not the guitars they made in the early 2000's in the US.

Peace,
Jicky

ReplyQuote
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member

DAng i done forgot my 2nd fave, a Tokai SG copy better than any gibby I've owned:

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

That SG copy is beautiful. Very Very beautiful

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Truth be told, I'd say put the bigsby on the fender; when I mounted the bigsby and replaced the bridge (I didn't put rollers on but use graphtech saddles instead) I put some research into it, including a couple of emails with Joe Naylor. Naylor used to sell the Slingshot with a bigsby so they had the parts. I think I mentioned in a diff thread that when I made the conversion I bought the parts directly from Reverend before they went overseas. You have to remember that the slingshot only has a narrow solid piece going through the body. If you were to use a different bridge or tailpiece you better check first on what you're screwing into.

I have a US-made Slingshot with the second version neck (not the original Eastpoint), So it's probably similar to yours in many ways. Bought it as a demo deal, and been very pleased with it. I'm familiar with the construction, so that wouldn't be an issue. But would hate to mess with the resonance and sustain, so it'll stay hardtail.

I've had all sorts of strings on the thing, including flatwounds (good for thumpy jazz and surf). Right now it's holding 11 rounds, making it a good rhythm and slide axe.
I don't know about reverend pups but I've owned three reverends and never felt the need to change out th HBs or P90s

The Rev still has its original pups, and I have no intention of changing those. I bought a boatload of US parts (pups, bridges, Bigsby) when Rev went overseas, and have been using these on project guitars (lots of '51s, saga kit). The Reverend P90s are particularly hot compared to others.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

DAng i done forgot my 2nd fave, a Tokai SG copy better than any gibby I've owned[/img]

No surprise there.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member

I have a US-made Slingshot with the second version neck
Same as mine, I love it to death :D

Peace,
Jicky

ReplyQuote