Notifications
Clear all

1st string, 12th fret sounds bad

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@gjh321)
Topic starter  

I have an acoustic guitar and whenever I play the note at the 12th fret only on the 1st string it sounds terrible. Its like a really sharp noise and I can hear it starting at the 10th fret, a little worse on the 11th but the 12th is so bad I never want to play it.

I checked it with an electronic tuner and its still tuned to e. It didn't used to do this, I noticed it about a month ago maybe around the time I got new strings. I cant find this problem anywhere online or in my handbook. I'm not sure if it is intonation, a bad string, problems with the bridge, or the truss rod. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me as to why it sounds this way.

(@digithead)

you should have it looked at by a qualified luthier. Sounds like you need some minor fret filing (leveling) in that area. Very easy 10 minute job. Most likely you are hearing "fret buzz" of some sort. Playing at 10th the vibrating string is literally slighlty touching at a higeher fret up the neck and "buzzing". Easy fix for a luthier. :note2:

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Welcome, and all of the above.

Check your neck and see if there is enough bow in it, or perhaps there is the frequently-found bump at the 14th where the mortise and tenon joint occur, particularly above the heel.

Anyhow, if you wish to avoid fret filing and expenses there, you could raise the action, shim the saddle or add a few heavier strings to pull harder on the neck...

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@gjh321)
Topic starter  

Alright ill give it a try. Now that you mention the 14th fret it almost looks like it is touching. Ill try to raise the action and Im due to get new strings anyways. Thanks for the suggestions.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Second on the check for enough bow.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote