Clear all

another pickup question

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

so I received my gibson 57' pickups today. I'm going to a luthier tomorrow to get them fitted. However, I'm not too sure how to tell which pickup is for the neck and which is for the bridge?

the guy has one labled as 7.88 and one at 8.25? This is an ohm rating I believe?

any help is appreciated.

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I don't know .... but I would think if your having it professionally installed, they will know the difference. From what I read though, it seems the 57 is either a bridge or neck pickup. The 57 Plus is specifically for the bridge as it is wound a little hotter. I'm not sure what those numbers mean.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I think it is the ohm rating.

Looking around, I found this http://www.slamanguitars.com/pickups.html

It doesn't have your specific ohm ratings, but it looks like the one with the higher ohm rating is the lead pickup and the one with the slightly lower rating is the rhythm/neck pickup.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I don't know .... but I would think if your having it professionally installed, they will know the difference. From what I read though, it seems the 57 is either a bridge or neck pickup. The 57 Plus is specifically for the bridge as it is wound a little hotter. I'm not sure what those numbers mean.
Higher == hotter, so the 8.25 looks likely to be the bridge. I'd still wait for the pro's opinion though :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

If it is the ohm rating that makes sense. Higher would be hotter cause higher would mean more windings of wire. Yup, you'ld want the hotter one at the bridge ... or at least I would.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote