Clear all

Argh! Les Paul Switch Replacing....

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@total-13)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

right the switch in my les paul standard has crapped out, it was never too great (one of those enclosed ones) so i have bought a new switch and tried looking at wiring diagrams but am slightly confused

the new switch looks like this

http://static.zoovy.com/img/guitarelectronics/-/swt31_500x500

it has three contact points i can solder to, two on one side and one on the other.

I figure the wires for each pickup are connected to the two on one side as they were on the original switch but i've read on wireing diagrams that the one on the other side is the ground connection....this leaves me confused as to where the wire from the jack socket goes.

on the original switch this was wired to the middle contact and the ground wire from the socket was soldered to the switch case.

any help appreciated!

Epiphone LP Standard trn blue ltd edition
fender squire strat (heavily modified and re painted with WOA festival logo)
Trace Elliot Super Tramp Valve 100 Combo
digtech RP3.

(@prndl)
Reputable Member

Here's a web site that shows a picture of the switch with wiring

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiringresources.22pickupdiagrams/

You need to figure out the one that applies to your new switch.

[/img]

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@total-13)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

i have tried that site but the switch diagrams have 4 contacts... whereas the switch seems to only have three...as can be seen by the link i posted.

in fact the switchs on the link you posted only have three contacts....whereas the diagram shows 4....

CONFUSED!

digtech RP3.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Here's another wiring diagram which may (or may ot) be helpful.

The important thing to know is what the function of each of the terminals on your switch is.

One of the connections will be the "common" contact. That's the one that connects to one, or both of the others, depending on the position of the switch. In the drawing that I linked to, the common contact is the one in the middle - the one labelled "this may be one or two terminals".
On your switch it's one. We've just gotta figure out which one.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@total-13)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

right I know the two terminals on one side of the switch are connected to the volume pots, which leaves 1 more terminal, my problem is I have 2 wires left and only 1 terminal. The two wires are both from the jack socket, hot and ground

do i just wire them both to this single terminal???

digtech RP3.

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

Do not wire them both to the same terminal. If you do, you will get no signal. On the switches I have worked with, there usually are four connections. One that goes to the neck volume pot, one that goes to the bridge volume pot, one that goes to the output signal (ie tip of the guitar output), and one for ground. I kind of suspect that the single terminal on the right side (of that picture) should probably go to the signal output. Then you need to ground the shield. It would be best to use a continuity tester to find someplace to solder the ground to on the chassis that doesn't short to any of the other terminals. Really, you should just use a continuity tester and make sure you know what all those terminals do with the switch in different positions to make sure you're wiring it up right. Never rely on diagrams of a switch that looks "kind of like" the one you have, there are just too many variations.

TZ

ReplyQuote
(@total-13)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the help, I'll see if theres an part I can use as a ground, I know where the other wires need to go was just confused as to where the forth went. Wish me luck!

this is the switch i have if it helps?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs/1/3-way_Pickup_Switches/Pictures.html#details

digtech RP3.

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

See, the thing is.... if you click on "instructions" on that page, the wiring diagram looks _exactly_ how I would have expected the switch to physically look. See, here's mine:

See the W-shaped terminals on the left? Just like the diagram shows. The middle one goes to signal output, the top goes to one volume pot, and the bottom goes to the other. The ground you can't really see, but it's on the right, it's just underneath all the wires. So since your switch doesn't look exactly like that, at least it doesn't in that picture you posted... I can only guess to its function. :( Sorry I can't help any more. If you're going to be tinkering w/ guitar electronics, a meter is essential. The continuity tester would help you figure out exactly what the operation of that switch is. If you've got a battery and flashlight bulbs around, you could rig up a poor-man's continuity tester... I suppose you could email Stew-Mac and ask them. They might be able to help you.

TZ

ReplyQuote
(@total-13)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the help, I think i have it sorted now! although I can't test it properly until I receive my new pickup in the post and wire that in.

digtech RP3.

ReplyQuote