Skip to content
baby mineral oil fo...

Notifications
Clear all

baby mineral oil for conditioning the fretboard?

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
11.8 K Views
(@jeansen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hi,i recently just read about some good comments about the mineral oil for conditioning the fretboard...i'm just thinking..is it just te same with the baby oil mineral oil? i know that if the baby oil contains a lot of junks like vitamin,ect..then it is not desirable for guitar but i read on the back of some product and it says: contains "pure mineral oil"....so, can i use it for my fretboard?thx u

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

"Baby Oil" typically has added fragrances and other items that make it "baby oil" instead of "mineral oil."

There is very little regulation around this as a product line, so there's no guarantee as to what the 100% mineral oil might mean. It might mean that there's nothing in the bottle but low viscosity petroleum distillate by-products right out of the refinery. It might mean that what oils that are in the bottle are nothing but mineral oil, but what isn't oil is 25% of the bottle. You just can't be sure.

Personally, I use olive oil. Since it's a food product there's ample regulation around labelling, so I know that when I buy cold pressed standard grade olive oil I am getting what I expect (well, within limits, there's actually quite a bit of marketting hype going on in the label choices here as well . . . but they can't add stuff that doesn't come out of the olive that easily . . .) It's also very cheap.

If you really want to use mineral oil, I suggest that you buy something labelled "mineral oil." Look for the stuff in grocery stores labelled for use on butcher blocks. While it costs a lot more than olvie oil, you'll be reasonably certain that nothing extra has been added.

Also, be aware that mineral oil is comprised of a bunch of different hydrocarbons, including a fair number of paraffins. The paraffins can clog wood pores with over-use.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Like Kingpatzer, I use olive oil.

But baby oil, like the "lemon oil" sold for guitars, is light medicinal grade mineral oil with a fragrance. Baby oil has a generic floral fragrance, while "lemon oil" has a lemon scent. It'll work the same.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@jeansen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

so..it is ok to use the baby oil?

btw, where can i buy those olive oil? thx u

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'd, personally, stay away from baby oil for my guitars. It may be perfectly OK to use, but, if there was a problem with the fretboard, you can bet your bottom dollar that someone will use it as an excuse to get out of doing any repairs on warranty or whatever.
Baby oil is formulated for babies bums (and other recreational purposes), whereas lemon oil is formulated with fretboards in mind (and no other recreational purposes, that I know of).

Olive oil can be bought in any decent food store - get a good quality cold-pressed virgin olive oil.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I buy a product that's labeled as "fretboard oil". It's about $5.00 but lasts forever. It works quite well.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@jeansen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thx u so much,guys...i'll check all of those stuffs... :)

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Sorry, I hate to get all technical again -
Though I have to say that if you're talking about a maple fretboard,
They have a finish on them like urethane or lacquer and a polish would do just fine there.
With rosewood and ebony fretboards, they are unfinished and an oil should be used on them.

I would lean more towards the olive oil - though I would disagree with getting virgin grade.
Virgin olive oil is very strong and has the greatest scent.
I would go with a lighter, cheaper grade (unless you also plan on using it for cooking)

Use the oil sparingly. If you use too much, the board will sweat oil for a long time.
It also affects the tone - and dampens the sound a bit ( with too much )

:D

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote