Clear all

Finish flaws on new guitar

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@tyler)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi, not sure if this is exactly a repair/maintenance issue, cause I don't want to do this myself, but I'm not sure what I should expect with a new guitar.

I just bought my 1st electric guitar (actually the 1st one I bought period cause my acoustic is an old beaten up hand me down). It's a black Gretsch electromatic hollow body. Now that I've had it home for a couple days I've noticed a few small flaws. The most noticible is it seems that on the edges and points of the f-holes the finish either didnt get sprayed on completely or that it got buffed off in some later stage as there's some light spots where the wood is showing through.

Is this something I should rightfully complain about, or ask for a discount because of it, or is it expected that no guitar has an absolutely flawless finish and it's just what makes each guitar unique?

Thanks for the advice.

(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member

what kind of guitar did you buy?(model, brand, ect..)

I personally would send it back. When I buy a guitar I don't buy with the assumption it will be flawed.

It's your call and what you think is a serious flaw or an acceptable one. The more I spend the closer to perfection it must be:)))

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Well I am a relative newbie but I have 10 guitars (non were flawed even down to my Sqier 51 @ $99.00). I assume that you bought it online someplace or you would have noticed the flaws before. I did a look up on what I think you have and it looks like about $839. at Musicians friend, for that price you should get a guitar with no cosmetic flaws. SEND IT BACK. Don't know where you bought it but Musicians Friend has an almost no questions asked return policy..Do not settle for a flawed guitar. Just my humble opinion.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@tyler)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

It's a Gretsch Electromatic G5125. And yeah, I paid $850 (canadian). No, I didn't buy it online, but I never noticed the flaws in the store. It's a pretty high gloss finish so I might have just thought it was a reflection and not an actual pale spot, or else I just plain old didn't notice it.

Thanks for the advice - I just wasn't sure what the norm is and didn't want to go back there 'whining' about something that no one else would think is a problem.

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Thanks for the advice - I just wasn't sure what the norm is and didn't want to go back there 'whining' about something that no one else would think is a problem.

Tyler, for that kind of money it's not whining. It's called getting what you paid for.

KC

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

that guitar should not have left the factory.
although a minor flaw.
a flaw is a flaw.
it should have been discounted.
take it back.
bummer.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote