Clear all

Bad Ground

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Ok call me stupid but when i installed the new pick up into my bridge on my tele i didn't take time to notice that the wire attached to my bridge plate was a ground. I installed the pickup followed the ground all the way to the pot, replaced the original pick resoldered it just like it was and now i have ground noise. When i touch any metal on my guitar it goes away. I was wondering since stupid me forgot to attach it to my bridge. Can i attach it to another pot so my pickup will be grounded to two different pots. Because honestly i don't feel like taking off the bridge and the saddles that i just re intonated again to fix it.

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

If I understand you correctly, the real problem is not the pup (which is not normally grounded to the bridge anyway), but the fact that you mistakenly removed the bridge ground connection. You need that connection to the common grounding point in your guitar, or the hummming problem you describe will continue to plague you. I don't see an easy solution to this, that isn't cosmetically nasty. Remove the bridge plate and do it right. I don't see why you would need to redo the intonation and height -- none of that has to change.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Is this thread the same problem you are talking about now?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Had a thought. If you don't mind a temporary wire until you can fix this properly, connect a wire from one of your bridge plate screws -- or even just slipped under the bridgeplate edge somewhere to a control plate screw. The wire can be pretty thin. Alternatively, you could even run a piece of small gauge magnet wire (24 to 20 AWG) from under the front edge of the bridgeplate under the pickguard and over to the control cavity for soldering to a pot. The pickguard would hide most of this.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

yes thats the thread...i thougth i never had one but i remember now undoing it

I have to re intonate it because in order to get the bridge plate off u must take the saddles off to access the screws

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote