Notifications
Clear all

Bridge height Yamaha SG1000

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@ian_the_man)
Topic starter  

This is a little worrying as it came back from a commercial set up like this and as it worked I didn't bother getting it corrected. Anyway a little tuning instability got me thinking. And so to the problem. btw the Yamaha bridge is very similr to the tunomatic brideg to look at for those who don't know the guitar.

The top E side mounting screw on the bridge sticks out quite a lot more than the one on the low E side. I had a go at removing the bridge from the screws so I could tweak the mounting screws, get the thumb screws moving OK and get my action adjusted just so, as my preferences have changed a bit in recent years. Anyway the bridge seems to be jammed on the screws and I am reluctant for force them. In fact it is looking like I will need to unscrew at least one of the mounting screws completely for the bridge to come away neatly. I also use an Ibanez JSM100 and that has a very similar bridge arangement and that comes away for adjustment and cleaning really easily so I feel certain this should also be so for the Yamaha.

Is this something I can sort myself or it a case of taking it to a decent repair person. I must say I am reluctant to take it back to the people who did it before.

Advice please before i go and do something stupid. It's my main live guitar so I'd be lost if it needed major work.

(@ian_the_man)
Topic starter  

Thanks to those people who are looking. I've fixed it now. What had happenned was whoever set it up before had screwed everything down so tight it had jammed up. Action is now raised to a little above 'buzz point' adn the guitar sings like it should, so there's no need to leave it in it's case overnight with the Gibson catalogue tucked under the strings.

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

Glad you got it fixed. :)

ReplyQuote