Clear all

Bridge Pin won't hold

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@forester404)
Topic starter  

Hi.
Sorry if this a basic or stupid question - while changing strings on my acoustic guitar, after changing lower 5 string went
well, I had a problem with the 6th string: after inserting the new string's bell into it's hole at the bridge, and then
inserting the pin over it, when I then start to tune the string up, whenever the string gets to a certain tension
(way lower tension then it would have in tune) the pin just pops out of the bridge hole. I tried it several times,
making sure that the pin is inserted all the way through, and that it's oriented properly - but still it keeps popping.
I can't see anything unusual with the pin itself, so I guess either the bridge is damaged somehow, or I am missing
something. any ideas ?
Thanks a lot

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Sometimes when I restring my acoustic, the ball will get snagged on the tip of the pin, rather than sitting against the wood of the guitar.
If I put a small bend in the string near the ball, that usually helps the pin not interfere with it.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Kent says it, but you may not understand that the bridge pin is not meant to "hold the string down" in the hole by pushing down on the ball end. The pin is meant to plug the hole so the ball end cannot escape back out of the hole when under tension. What the heck does that mean? The ball end actually sits to the SIDE of the bridge pin inside the guitar, and presses against the side of the bridge pin. On some guitars, one can actually remove the bridge bins and the strings stay in place (don't try this). Here's a pic:

From this site:

http://www.guitarimports.com/setup-string.htm

As Kent writes, bend the end of the string a bit.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@forester404)
Topic starter  

Brilliant !!
The mechanics behind this really eluded me until now -
Thanks a lot for the replies :-)

ReplyQuote
(@luisagui)

I have an ibanez acoutsic guitar and i was trying to restring but the slot where the G string goes, when i try to put in the pin it won't stay...i lost the pin that went there a while back so i tried taking out a pin from the high e string and putting it where i wanted it (g string) but it simply wouldn't stay i tried putting that same pin in different slots and i found no problem so i dont know if the pin is the problem. so im wondering if pins vary in diameter or thickness or something like that or if some pins are meant for certain slots....or if the hole where the string goes is worn out or something like that....i really dont know what to do...i thought about buying some brass pins or something like that but i want to be sure that its not my guitar thats worn out..

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

look at the photo above luis (or luisa?). do you understand what holds in the bridge pin? it's not necessarily a snug fit to the hole (though it can be), as the side force from the string ball plays an important part. make sure your string end is bent a bit before you insert it into the hole. then insert the pin and hold it in while you pull on the string to snug it up against the bridge plate (inside of top) and the side of the pin. as long as there is tension on the string, the pin should stay in the hole. if pulling the string actually pulls out the pin, then start over with more bend at the end of the string. you may need to keep tension on the string while you tune it up -- I do on some guitars.

if all this doesn't work, you may have a problem with your guitar, probably not the pins. don't bother with brass pins. they are a marketing gimmick.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote