Clear all

Broken amp??

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@sally45)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

This isn't really about guitar maintenance ..more so the amp.. so, im not even sure if this is the right section to place this under. Anyhow i was wandering if someone could help...

I have a traynor reverb mate 40 amp and recently whenever i turn on the amp all it does is make a loud buzzing noise...there is no damage to it as far as i know but i don't know a lot about amps. Does anyone know what could be causing this and how to fix it??

thanks a lot,
sally

(@english-one)
Estimable Member

I'm guessing nothing happens when you plug a guitar in? That sounds like you've got a loose connection somewhere, or maybe a cold solder (Where the solder has cracked, breaking the circuit). It's probably a tiny fault thats causing a big problem! Also, it might be poorly earthed ("grounded"). I don't know whether you've tried plugging it in somewhere else (Like a mates house), because it might be something wrong with the power supply in your house (Ok, thats a long shot, but maybe worth looking into)

Maybe take the amp apart (When it's unplugged!), and taking a look around to see if you can see any obvious loose wires or anything, but if you can't see anything obvious, ask a trained electrician (Or somebody who has a good Idea about electrics) to look at it for you, otherwise you might end up frying yourself. Afraid thats about the best advice I can give, sorry.

I'm sorry that probably wasn't very useful.

Peter

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

**If you don't know electronics, do NOT disassemble you're own amplifier! Even unplugged you can get zapped by lingering volage in the caps!**

Alrighty, now that we have that out of the way...

We're going to need some more specifics to properly diagnose the issue, so:

Does it occur more (or only?) when a guitar is plugged in? Does it buzz in other people's houses or anywhere else you play? Is there equipment nearby that could be causing massive electromagnetic interference? Are the settings on the amp normal: pre or post gain not at 10?

Is the amp tube based or solid state? Do you know if it has a built in fan?

If you're having a hard time finding the answer to these questions I highly recommend just taking it to a local guitar shop and have them check it out.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You talking about the one with dual 8" speakers? Does the amp allow you to disconnect the speakers? Maybe try unplugging the speakers and plugging in different ones. I worked on an amp here a few nights ago it turned out to be a bad speaker, the young lady only had it a few months and never played it every loud. Just a bad speaker, of course I had to tease her by saying it was from not working the amp hard enough. I think others have pretty well covered everything else.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@sally45)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your replies...

It occurs when no guitar is plugged in and doesnt effect the buzzing at all when i try to. It also makes the noise wherever i try to plug it in... the setting are normal and the only electid thing its around is a computer but it has never effected it before

Im not sure if it has a fan or if it is tube or solid...i don't know alot about amps

and yes it does have two 8" speakers..I unplugged both of them but it still makes the noise

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Have you tried moving farther away from the computer, have you tried the amp in another room?

joe

ReplyQuote
(@sally45)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

yeah...I've tried it in almost every room in the house

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

OK, here's a spec for the amp. I thought it may be a duff tube, but this is an SS amp:

From the Manufacturer
This 40 Watt stereo (2x20w) guitar amplifier offers 4 band equalization, gain control, headphone output, 2 switchable channels, chorus and reverb. Playing in your room or jamming with your "Mates" you'll love this amp. Also available - TRM40C with cream Tolexâ„¢ covering.

SPecifications:

* Power @ min. impedance (Watts): 40
* Speaker Configuration - LF (Size / Power): 2x 8 inch / 20 Watts each
* Input Channels: 2
* Channel 1 - inputs: 2x 1/4 inch phone (1 high, 1 low impedance)
* Channel 1 - controls: Gain, Volume
* Channel 2 - inputs: Shares ch 1
* Channel 2 - controls: Gain, Volume, Low, Mid, High, Presence
* Channel 2 - switches: Chennel Select
* Line Out (type / configuration): Yes / Stereo
* Effects Volume: Reverb, chorus
* Effects Loop / Location: No
* Effects Footswitch / Function: Yes / Channel Select, Reverb Bypass
* Internal Reverb / Effects: Reverb, Chorus
* LED Indicators: Power
* Headphone Jack: Yes
* Other Features: Chorus bypass switch
* Dimensions (DWH, inches): 8.5 x 20.5 x 14.5
* Dimensions (DWH, cm): 21.5 x 33 x 38
* Weight (lbs / kg): 24 / 10.9

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote