Skip to content
Changed from .009s ...

Notifications
Clear all

Changed from .009s to .010s and questions?

12 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@budysr)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I just changed the strings last night on my MIM strat from 9s(how it came setup and new) to 10s for the first time. I had read on here about some adjustments that might be needed when going to a heavier gauge. I knew that the floating trem would have to be readjusted and I was ready for that, but I also had someone tell me that I may have to adjust the truss rod. After removing all the old strings, I gave the truss rod a couple small turns to tighten it(clockwise I think) and went in on the trem screws on the backside of the guitar. Got each string on and eventually got the trem balanced pretty good with all strings in tune and stretched so no problem there.
The truss rod is the thing that I'm not sure about. I don't know if I even needed to mess with it. I don't have too much string buzzing, but there is a little bit when playing w/o and amp(I guess its always been that way). I wound up having to go back the other way on the truss adjustment too because I thought I had a little bit more buzz on the G string and some on the A and D too.
Is it normal to need to tighten the truss when going to a heavier gauge string for the first time?

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

a change from 009 to 01 isn't that significant, so your truss rod may or may not require a tweak. if it does, tightening would be expected, as that would increase the force to counteract the higher string tension of a heavier gauge. one thing about truss rod (neck relief) adjustments is that it shouldn't be the first order fix for fret buzz. the relief should be adjusted so the neck is straight or only slightly relieved (forward bow) at full string tension (see guitar specs for relief). once that is done, the action (string height -- again see guitar specs) should be adjusted at the bridge for buzz reduction and your playing preferences. all this assumes that trem angle (spring tension) adjustments are already done.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@budysr)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Makes sense. I think its ok but there is a little bit of buzz on some strings but not heard through the amp. Maybe thats the nature of the beast with low action. I may have backed off a bit too much on the truss b/c I was able to hit a chord or strum the strings and then manipulate the pitch of the entire insturment(a little bit) by pushing in or out around the headstock part of the neck. Should it be tighter than that? The relief looks good and is within fender specs on the 8th fret. I did go back and retighten a 1/4 turn to see about tightening the neck back up.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

if it's within relief spec, you are done with the truss rod. tightening it will not really stiffen the neck much in terms of what you describe. the pitch change you are able to cause by pushing-pulling near the headstock is normal. if you cannot hear the buzz through the amp, and it doesn't bother you, then that's fine. if you are feeling the need to stomp out all the buzz, then you may need to raise the strings a bit. the trade-off is your choice.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

One thing that I saw in your post, is that you seem to have taken the strings off, adjusted the truss rod, and then put new strings on- I'm not sure (also a newb) but I've always thought you want to make any truss rod adjustments with strings on, and tuned up. (Meaning change the strings, tune the guitar, check the neck relief, and then adjust if it's necessary.) That's how I've always done it, anyhows- one advantage is, with the strings on and in tune, you can see how much neck relief there is, play it to see how you like it, and then decide how much to adjust the rod- without the strings on, I don't know how much to turn it.

(Somebody with more experience, jump in here and tell us if I'm right..)

best,
Ande

PS- in terms of adjusting the truss rod when you change string gauge, I think it depends. I have a stratocopy that seems to keep the same slight neck relief with 8s or with 12s. My new guitar took hours to get right going from 9s to 10s. It just depends, I guess..

ReplyQuote
(@budysr)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I don't think I really needed to fool with the truss adjustment anyway but I did go back and readjust the floating trem a little(had it a little too far forward). May just be a slight raiseing of the G And D strings is needed as I have a bit of buzz around the 10-12th frets on those strings. I don't see where fender included the tiny allen wrench that looks to be needed to raise the string height. Should I have gotten that tool with the guitar as I bought it new and got the allen key for the truss........?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Should I have gotten that tool with the guitar as I bought it new and got the allen key for the truss........?

probably. bought a Fender gig bag a couple years ago, and only noticed recently that there is a Strat accessories kit in the side pouch (by accident, didn't buy a Strat). contains trem arm, truss rod wrench and saddle allen key.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@budysr)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

And I was wrong about allen key. I DID get the small one needed to adjust string height so I assume that is all I really need to do it this point is bring those G and D strings up a hair if it continues to bother me. That and maybe double check the intonation again.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If you mean the truss rod adjustment key, that's not for adjusting string height. It's for adjusting neck relief. String height does change secondarily as you adjust this.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

If you mean the truss rod adjustment key, that's not for adjusting string height. It's for adjusting neck relief. String height does change secondarily as you adjust this.

been thru the drill above. he understands the diff.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@budysr)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

In moving along from the truss to actual string height, I checked the height of each string per what the fender manual recommends and mine are all lower than the 2mm and 2.4mm that Fender recommends. I like the action low and after playing for a few hours with the tubes cranked, I decided not to fool with the height even though there is a little bit of buzz on some strings around the 10-12th frets(only really heard w/o the amp).
I was in guitar center yesterday and played around with another MIM strat and it looks like the buzz I am complaining about is the same on this new guitar. Maybe I've lost my mind and it was always this way even before I switched to the 10s and started messing with things........

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

if it's lower than spec, some buzzing is to be expected, and will probably worsen with fret wear. as long as you are okay with it, no problem. BTW, after everything is adjusted, the 010s should buzz less than the 009s for the same action height.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote