Clear all

Tone Capacitors in Guitar Wiring

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I have read a number of discussions about people preferring special capacitors for use in the tone circuit in a guitar. Some like Mallory, some like Sprague (but only certain particular models), "bumblebee" caps, etc. with the general consensus being anything but ceramic disc. I'm wondering why? In just about every wiring diagram (I would say all but somebody will pull out one from somewhere that doesn't do this) the tone cap controls signal that is shunted to ground. No output signal goes through the tone capacitor.

Is there any logical reason for tone cap brand/type selection? Or is it like many other guitar electronics entirely mystical / psychological? I could see there possibly being some effect (though perhaps tiny) to the selection of a treble bleed capacitor since actual signal passes through it.

Thanks.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

IMO it's largely voodoo, but there actually are small demonstrable differences in the inductance and ESR (effective series resistance) of different types of capacitors and different dielectric materials, and these values aren't necessarily constant across wide frequency bands either. But I think you've got to be one of those golden eared audiophiles who can tell whether the power cord on the amp is made from oxygen-free copper to hear the differences. Old paper caps like those "bumblebees" have soaked up moisture and probably ought to be thrown out, but you can get good money for them on eBay. If it makes you feel like a better player, go for it! Personally, I'm happy with any of 'em including ceramic disks. A general rule of thumb is that you might hear some difference with a 2:1 change in value of the cap under good conditions. A clearly noticeable change takes more like a 10:1 value change. More subtle stuff is completely lost on most of us, certainly on me.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote