Notifications
Clear all

Compesated saddle for floating bridge?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@besmir23)
Topic starter  

Hi! I have a tilpiece guitar with floating bridge but i dont have a saddle..I have a compesated saddle at home but i dont know if it is for floating bridge or not.. Its a compesated saddle for floating bridge?

(@alangreen)

I think we need a couple of photos to be able to help.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Probably not. I'd just say no, but I'm assuming tilpiece = tailpiece, and there's a chance it's not a typo, but a guitar I've not heard of.

There are two types of bridges I've heard guitarists call "floating". One type truly floats, because it's connected to a vibrato and returns to position with springs, like a Floyd Rose system. On those floating bridges the saddles are individual metal pieces that can be moved to adjust the intonation.

The other type of bridge people call "floating" is a trapeze bridge - they're sometimes called "floating" when the bridge is moveable (and can fall off if all the strings are removed at once). This is common on old arch-top guitars. It's possible for these bridges to have a compensated saddle - I'll link to a picture of one that does - but every moveable trapeze bridge I've seen does not have a removable saddle; they're part of the bridge itself, and are carved for the specific guitar.

So if I haven't mis-interpreted "tilpiece", the answer is no. But there's one other outside chance - guitarists mis-name things on a fairly regular basis. Some tailpiece guitars have fixed bridges - they're attached to the guitar top so they won't move. If that's what you've got, a few have removable saddle pieces, and the answer turns into a maybe. Like Alan said, a picture would help.

Anyway, here's a moveable trapeze bridge that's compensated. You might have to toggle to the second picture, as the page is from a company that sells pickups for movable bridges: https://reverb.com/item/520242-k-k-sound-pure-floating-bridge-jazz-guitar-dual-pickup

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote