Notifications
Clear all

converting to electric 12 string EASY?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mr-toad)
Topic starter  

so yeah pretty self explanitory. if i got a new bridge and tailpiece for my old epiphone les paul special II (got it for free/ pretty bad shape at the moment) and bought an epiphone 12 string neck (found one online reasonably priced) would this be enough to convert. love the sixties sound but tight on cash just got a vox ac50 so thats where the greens have gone.

would i need new pickups?

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

should work if the neck scale is the same as the original.

pups should work too. if you find the string response seems uneven because the strings don't line up well with the pole pieces or volume drops out during bends, just lower the pups a bit. the magnetic field spreads out further from the pole pieces.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@mr-toad)
Topic starter  

awesome thanks, that would be great to add an electric 12 string.

in the future i want to get one from the phantom guitar site. they look super vintage and are reasonably priced

ReplyQuote
(@skunk)

It probably goes without saying, but unless you're an experienced luthier, don't try this on anything but a solidbody, otherwise I'd think you'd encounter problems from the increased tension.

Just want to put in a plug for those phantom guitars, though. I had the privilege of hearing the Decemberists in concert a few days ago and their very talented guitarist/multi-instrumentalist Chris Funk played a phantom teardrop electric 12-string on several numbers during their second set. It both sounded and looked absolutely gorgeous - close your eyes and you'd be hard-pressed to say he wasn't playing a Rickenbacker, but open them and there he was playing the reincarnation of a Brian Jones guitar. Jangly AND stylish. Having heard one in action I couldn't recommend it more highly - looks as if it's probably simpler to restring than a Rickenbacker as well.

ReplyQuote
(@mr-toad)
Topic starter  

Chris Funk played a phantom teardrop electric 12-string on several numbers during their second set

was it the semi hollow or regular

i quite like the pentagonal phantom 12s as well. i wanna get one in light green i think. it would look pretty cool with how huge the pick guard is

ReplyQuote