Notifications
Clear all

Custom Strat Wiring Problem!!

21 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarguy1387)
Topic starter  

Hello everyone! Ok heres the deal. Ive been fooling around with moding my strat for a few years now. Ive done everything from rewiring a standard strat to adding a humbucker, changing pots and small stuff like that. After much time spent trying to figure out what i really want my strat for, ive finally got a final mod to make... the only problem is that no matter where i go i cant figure out the wiring.

heres what im trying to do:
1 dimarzio yjm in the neck position
1 seymour duncan invader in the bridge
(nothing in the middle position)
1 standard fender 3 way switch
2 500k pots (1 tone for the yjm and a master volume)

any help towards finding a solution is very appreciated!!

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Two questions:

1: how many leads per pickup?

2: is this a Tele style guitar or a Strat but you only want the bridge and neck?

Try here:

http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/category/wiringresources/

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@guitarguy1387)
Topic starter  

first i dont know what u mean by how many leads per pickup.... and this is a strat style guitar but i only want the neck and bridge.

Ive been to guitarelectronics.com hundreds of times, nothing is exactly what i need.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

first i dont know what u mean by how many leads per pickup.... and this is a strat style guitar but i only want the neck and bridge.

Ive been to guitarelectronics.com hundreds of times, nothing is exactly what i need.

lead = wire in this case.

He's asking about the number of wires -- shield plus insulated colored wires -- coming out of each pup. This tells us something about the wiring possibilities of each pup.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

heres what im trying to do:
1 dimarzio yjm in the neck position
1 seymour duncan invader in the bridge
(nothing in the middle position)
1 standard fender 3 way switch
2 500k pots (1 tone for the yjm and a master volume)

any help towards finding a solution is very appreciated!!
The complication is the tone pot only applying to your neck pickup, rather than functioning as a master tone.

The following diagram shows Telecaster wiring with the neck bypassing the tone control. Use this a reference since your new arrangement will be more similar to a Tele than a Strat (two pickups, 3-way switch, single volume and tone knobs.)

Yours will be done slightly differently. Notice how the lower lug on the tone pot connects at the switch to the hot (white) wire coming from the bridge pickup. In a master tone setup, that tone pot lug would connect to the volume pot instead.

For your wiring, you would run the wire from the tone pot lug to the hot wire from the neck pickup, thus letting the bridge pup bypass the tone control.

I think ... :wink:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

duplicate - please delete

ReplyQuote
(@guitarguy1387)
Topic starter  

to answer the question about leads... the yjm and invader both have 5

whould makeing the tone a master tone make this an easier project?

ReplyQuote
(@guitarguy1387)
Topic starter  

o and by the way 2 of the leads from both pickups get soldered together

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

whould makeing the tone a master tone make this an easier project?

Well, sorta, but only because there are many diagrams available for that. Just use standard Telecaster wiring, since you've got the 3-way switch and only two pickups. The tone bypass I described above should only need one wire connected differently, but I've never done that before so can't verify.

Assuming that one wire from each pickup is bare, that one will be soldered to the one that goes to ground and connected to the same spot, likely the back of the volume pot. So you'll have two wires soldered together and taped off, two going to ground, and one hot.

ReplyQuote
(@guitarguy1387)
Topic starter  

thanks for everything slejhamer :D. im goin to try to work on getting a wiring diagram drawn up this weekend (i dont have time now... im a college student with finals on the horizon) when i get it ill post it and ask if any one can see any potential problems. Thanks again for everything!

ReplyQuote
(@guitarguy1387)
Topic starter  

if u treat the yjm as a humbucker (bc it has 5 wires) will this work?

http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/product/WDUHH3T1101

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

if u treat the yjm as a humbucker (bc it has 5 wires) will this work?

http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/product/WDUHH3T1101

Absolutely, that should work. The thing is that with 5 leads you have so many other options to "hotrod" your guitar. You could use a push/pull pot to "tap" the coils. So, you would have the option of single or double coil configuration. The trick is in wiring the tap out of phase.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@guitarguy1387)
Topic starter  

ok so im goin to go with the wirig diagram that i last posted. Now the next question. Im using a standard fender 3 way switch.... how do i know what foot on the 3way goes to which wire of which pickup? (sry for all the questions but i dont want to have to redo this!)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

That's why you should look at a Telecaster diagram. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@guitarguy1387)
Topic starter  

ok i did a little work and came up with this diagram... its a combo of the tele and doule hum strat. i dont know if it will work so can anyone verify that it will or help me make adjustments to get it to work? Also i dont know if there should be a capacitor on the vol or on the tone.. and if there are caps, what size should they be?

this is a pretty bad diagram... but it gets the point across.. i think.. :D

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u192/guitarguy1387/

any help is really really appreciated!!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2