Skip to content
Did a little work o...

Notifications
Clear all

Did a little work on the Resonator this weekend.

13 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@s1120)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I picked up this Regal steel body reso over the summer used. I realy like to offbeat sound of it, but it was setup with high action for slide. Well all my pratice time is spent getting this guitar playing down, so I have not touched a slide in ages! So I could eather let it sit in the case, and waitt, or to lower the action so it was more playable... I chose the later...

Tore it apart and scoped it out...

OK, so stock bridge...

Santa brought me a nice shiny set of nut files so I went to work....

Took some mesurements, and a little eyeballing and dove in and cut some new groves...

Paul B

(@s1120)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

A few more tryes to get it closer to where I want it to be, and I filed the top down...

Ahhhhhhhhh Much better!!!!

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

So buttoned it back up, and am going to play it a few days and see how I like it. So far I Like it a LOT better!!!

After im sure I like it, I have to do a little touchup filing on the bridge, then I will pop the cover plate back on. As of now its a lot of fun to play, and gives a real cool sound. Ill play it a lot more now!!!

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Nice job! Thats a cool looking resonator too. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Nice job! Thats a cool looking resonator too. 8)

Thanks!!

Im realy starting to connect to this thing. Ive played it every day sence ive fixed it up, and realy enjoy it!! Its a bit harder to play cleanly then my LP is, but I think at my stage of learning thats a good thing. I am learning to hit all the notes a lot more clearly. It doesnt let me cheat as much as the electric. :D She is a loud one when you dig into it!!! Thats also teaching me to change my touch a bit for diferent tones. All in all Im having a GREAT time with it!!! The LP's starting to get jelous!!!!!

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Paul, just curious. Do you know what your string height is at some point unfretted, and related to that, are you able to use slide with ease at that height? I'm still pondering what to do with mine after I put the 12s on it. It's quite high, great for slide, but fretting anything is a really good sized effort. I'm thinking a middle ground somewhere....

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Paul, just curious. Do you know what your string height is at some point unfretted, and related to that, are you able to use slide with ease at that height? I'm still pondering what to do with mine after I put the 12s on it. It's quite high, great for slide, but fretting anything is a really good sized effort. I'm thinking a middle ground somewhere....
I did not mesure it, but I could. I set it a touch lower then my POS accustic, but not as low as my LP. :D As for slide... I havent tryed sence I did it. I am very happy with it.. Ive played it non stop for the last 3 weeks. I popped a string on it monday, so took the chance to finish it up, put the cover back on and restring it. Its back in its case for now.... spent a few days back with the LP.... but I see the junky accustic getting very little use now.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I think it's natural to bounce back and forth, sometimes letting one sit for longer than you'd think you'd want it to sit, all alone and free to plot against you. They do get soooo depressed.

Fast forward 35 years from now and you get a phone call from guitar telling you how much the neglectful periods hurt and what it did to her. Then you apoligize to her, but explaining to her that while it may have been a key moment in her life that defined her character, to you, it was just another Thursday.

No more calls, and you can forget grand-babies (ukes, mandolins, etc).

Granted, that's a worse case scenario.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

OK going to go out on a limb here..... :oops:

OK... so I still have a LONG way to go....my playing is not the best..... and have to polish my recording gear... A LOT .... but here is a clip of me playing the Resonator. ...

http://soundcloud.com/s1120/reso-nor-wood-track-1/s-4BBRS

Hope you dont have to cringe THAT much. :D

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I love the tone. Nicely done.

Norweigan Steel, eh? :wink:

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I love the tone. Nicely done.

Norweigan Steel, eh? :wink:

:lol: :lol: Good point!! Ill have to remember that. Ya, I realy am happy with the tone from it. The recorder made it out a little more "thuddy" then it is... But im real happy with it.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! My ears! :lol: Nah, that was pretty good! I enjoyed it. Look foreward to hearing more stuff. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! My ears! :lol: Nah, that was pretty good! I enjoyed it. Look foreward to hearing more stuff. 8)
Well I DID warn ya all. :D

Well working on bolth the playing AND finding a good recording setup... hope that future ones will be a bit better.

Paul B

ReplyQuote