Skip to content
Electric Guitar res...

Notifications
Clear all

Electric Guitar restringing problems - Help appreciated!!!

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@roden50)
Topic starter  

I have just dug an old electric strat squire out of the loft for the first time in many years and have started restringing it. I put the first string on okay but after the second one went one and I tuned it up a bit I noticed that it is stuck to the fretboard it seems and the string doesn't play properly, particularly the first 5-6 frets dont play at all just a buzzing noise when I pluck them (without amp so far but they should play acoustically at any rate).

I once had a similar problem on my acoustic which was the tuning nut once and the bridge once, both I have checked on this one and I cant see a problem - can anyone suggest anything else to help me please?

I had to put the springs back on the bottom with the catches that hold the strings in place and these have different levels of elevation from the base to raise the strings which I can equate to the string size but not sure if this has anything else to do with it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Frustrated from Basingstoke.

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Try putting all the strings on before you try to tune any of them. The neck needs the tension of all strings.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@jim182)
Eminent Member

yes, try putting all strings on and putting to tune. its quite possible the neck has a backbow. If minor, this can be an easy truss rod adjustment, if not, its more serious. The fact that the strings are low around 5,6 sounds like a neck relief problem. If the guitar is worth much for you, may be worth taking it in to get a setup after all those years anyway.

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Absolutely put all the strings on first and roughly tune it up, the springs that are in the back under that squarish cover are set to counteract the tension of the strings for the trem. You might find that there is no problem.

If it is still a problem, give it a day or two to settle out, then decide.

You probably just need a good set up done.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

What they said, and welcome to GN!

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote