Notifications
Clear all

PuP Output Question.

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@wow-shawn)
Topic starter  

Hello, I'm new to the forum! Anywho, my guitar is equiped with EMG-HZ's (I'm not a fan of active PuPs). For passive PuPs they have a pretty high output, well suited to metal as you may know. Recently though, my guitars output has just "crapped" out! No sustain, hammer on/pull off is unaudible, shred is impossible. Keep in mind, BOTH neck and bridge are suffering. Any idea what could be wrong? Is the output jack on the fritz?

Thanks in advance, Shawn.

(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Are you sure the strings just aren't worn out?

Sounds like it to me, but if it's not then you might just want to adjust the pickup height, because I can't say I;ve ever heard of an electrical fault leading to reduced output. I mean in the past a slightly loose cable or amp may have caused a temporary fault, but jiggling it would always fix that.

You could get one of those circuit testers if you're a dab hand with electrics and see if there's anything a bit too low, but that's quite drastic. try just changing the strings first and maybe raising the pick ups.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Haven't turned down your guitar volume, have you?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you destroyed the pot. maybe?

potentiometers do wear out.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Just to eliminate the amp or the guitar as the culprit. Have you tried playing that guitar on another amp or playing another guitar on that amp.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

And try a different cable.

ReplyQuote
(@jim182)
Eminent Member

i had a similar thing happen to me once, but only one one pickup. The pickup got demagnetized (i'm too embarrassed to admit how ;) ) and the output got very low. Hopefully not your case, but just a shot in the dark. Also, i havn't a clue what PuPs are so I may be missing the point.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I flinch and say "Ick!" whenever someone calls pickups "pups," too. :lol:

ReplyQuote