Clear all

Guitar body warped

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@introuble)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hi i have a double neck acoustic guitar and recently i just realised that the area where the neck meet s the guitar to the sound hole area is slightly bent in...thus i am wondering whats the remedy for this as i do not want to spend money ghaving to take it to a luther any body know how to solve this?....and also how will this affect teh playability and intonation of my guitar thanks

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

and behind the bridge the guitar top should slightly bow out.

I have a feeling what you see is normal
unless it is grossly showing.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@introuble)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

no its the front part that is bending downthe area where the neck joins the body to the sound hole area i have used a ruler to measure and its bent inwards how do i rectify this problem?

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Sorry, but that is a luthier job.

Either the neck block has come undone from the body, the bracing has come loose or the stress on the body from the double neck is just too great.

I'm not sure if you could fix this without removing the neck.

But without a luthier.....hmmmm

Use light strings, tune it down a step and play with a capo.

I'm making all of the rest of this stuff up in the best MacGyver sense of luthiery.

If you want to try some woodworking, remove the strings and let it sit. If you can see a gap at the top of the block, force some titebond into it. Clamp it and see if the warp goes away in a couple of days.

You could cut yourself a T of wood that will go from the neck block to the first brace. Cut notches to go over the braces top and bottom. Attach that and see.

Or alternatively you could get yourself a couple of small elbow braces that they sell in the hardware store and glue and screw smaller seperate blocks top and bottom. I envision something about the same dimensions as a six sided dice but long enough to reach the first brace.

You could buy yourself a JLD Bridge doctor and attach it through the last fret of the fret board and to the neck block.

None of the above are guaranteed to work. If you don't feel comfortable drilling holes in your guitar, don't.

If you leave it alone what effect will it have? The action will become higher and higher. It will deform the top and eventually rob you of volume. The intonation will be completely out of whack because the strings will have to stretch to reach the fretboard, however the action will probably be so high that you won't want to play it up the neck anyway.

WAIT......it isn't a bolt on neck is it?

ReplyQuote