Epiphone pickup selector problems

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 Gump
(@gump)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

The pickup selector on my Epiphone Dot archtop seems to have given up the ghost. The center position gives me NEITHER pickup. I've tried contact spray, ho help. (In a strange way, it's kind of a handy mute feature. But kidding aside...)

Is replacing the toggle switch a simple DIY project or best left for a repair shop?

This seems to be a common problem with Epiphones. I've really enjoyed the guitar otherwise, too bad they chose to cut corners on one of its least expensive components.

(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

I was going to suggest taking it out and spraying it with contact spray, but you've already tried it. Double check all of the pick up connections, the solder could have come loose or a wire could have snapped.

If all else faills, swapping out the switch shouldn't be too hard, that is if you are comfortable with soldering. If your aren't, then take it to a shop, they might even let you watch and learn how to do it.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

Well Gump I don't know the age of your guitar but you are right about Epi's hardware. What may now just be the toggle switch might end up being also the tone and volume knobs.

If you have a good pair of hands and the tools to do it I would think its not that difficult. Being a coward I am having my 1987 Epi Sheraton fitted out with all new electrics, pots, tuners, switches and even the bridge replaced with all Gibson original parts. Bottom line its costing more than the guitar is worth but at the end of the day its still half the price of Gibson ES335. plus it looks prettier LOL well that's my excuse.

Bottom line if the guitar plays a dream, has a superb action and most of all you love it then go for it. But be warned sooner or later your tone pots well start to make noises when you turn them so considering changing them all now is not a bad idea.

Gerry

Those who can't dance always blame the band.

http://www.gerrycooper.com/

ReplyQuote
 Gump
(@gump)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Update - on this particular model, the toggle can easily be unscrewed and pulled out through the F hole for cleaning & adjusting. I did that and now it makes good contact with both pickups in the center position, I tested it with an ohmmeter.

But now in the center position now I'm getting just the neck pickup. This is a seperate problem. Or does a stock Epiphone not allow you to blend pickups?

As a side comment on Epiphone vs. Gibson - a comparable 335 lists for around $3000. OK it's a really nice instrument but I'm an amateur, it's hard for me to justify that expense. And then there's the hassle of having such a high cost item around. (What was that Nigel said, "That one can't be played. Don't even point.")

The Epi is a decent guitar, I may swap out some parts but actually I like the pickups it came with. At the price I'm happy to think of it as a starter kit.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Don't even talk about that one ...... DON'T! Yeah, I agree. Thats why I gravitate towards my cheaper guitars. The middle position should give you both pickups. Sounds like you have it 1/2 fixed.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@chimpsky)

I'm having the exact same problem here... I was thinking I should take my Es335 to a shop, but first I wanna try to fix it myself (if possible).
switch: It seems the bridge is working (not full output), mixed mode only bridge work, and neck is almost dead in volume.
I love this guitar, and I have modified the neck to suit me - so I need to rescue this axe, no matter the cost.

ReplyQuote