Clear all

Guitar Kit

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mark-taylor)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Help, I bought a guitar kit, made by AXL. Neck screws were all out of specs, I tried to sand the pocket, now my strings are not straight on the guitar. The neck joint is too loose. Is there anyway to fix this short of rerouting the guitar body?

You can ride a Yamaha, or play a Yamaha, it is up to you.

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i read this review at amazon~

"The screw holes weren't that straight and I had to plug and redrill two of the neck attachment holes. "
http://www.amazon.com/AXL-Yourself-Electric-Guitar-Kit/dp/B000ALX2TA
sounds like you may need to shim it at the very least if not plug and redrill altogether.

unfortunatly, you get what you pay for. can you return it?
maybe an XS from rondo would be a better buy. http://www.rondomusic.net/sst62stop.html

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member

If the neck does not set straight in the pocket when it is screwed in, you'll have to drill out the screw holes in the neck and glue in dowels to fill the holes, then you will need to line up the neck in the pocket so that the strings will line up correctly (this will involve clamping the neck to the body while you do this) mark your new screw holes in the neck though the old screw holes in the body and then drill your new holes. The bottom of the neck should fit flat and tight to the bottom of the neck pocket, it shouldn't matter if you have a little play around the sides as long as the neck and body are flat against each other - that's the most important part of the joint. If there is a gap around the sides of the neck pocket and it bothers you, it can be filled in by gluing in pieces of wood veneer.

Good luck. :D

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

ReplyQuote
(@mark-taylor)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Okay, thanks to each reply. I finally got the neck on straight. With a lot of sanding, leveling, filling in the voids and other woodwork that I was not prepared for. But the kit is really just okay. The nut is way too high, I did have to realign the bolt holes, and none of the tuners lined up with their respective holes. So a little toothpick and glue treatment there. Now to either take off the nut or cut down the slots. Then maybe I can do a bridge set up. UUUUGGGGGH!!!!! It is wasting too much playing time. Makes me appreciate good made cheap guitars. Oh, and the kit is just like the review at Amazon.com. Shoulda checked there first.

Mark

You can ride a Yamaha, or play a Yamaha, it is up to you.

ReplyQuote