Notifications
Clear all

Guitar Strings

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@gotthelife)
Topic starter  

Hey all, got a question. I just put new strings on my guitar.. DR Tite-Fit 9-42 to be exact. For some reason when ever i strike my low E string open, you can really hear the string vibrating and it is very annoying so far. Is this because they are new and are still getting stretched and adjusted? Ive never used these strings before so I dont know if this is normal. Another thing I think it might be is my bridge.. I had readjusted it a hair before stringing it, but it was literally just a centimeter lower. Any suggestions. I am want to hear from you all before cutting the strings and doing it all over again. Thanks for any feedback.

(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

First off, Welcome to the board, you'll find lots of great information around here. Don't worry about the double posting, it happens all the time.

The rattling could very well be a result of a change in string size. You said you have 9's on now, what guage were on before. A change in string guage will sometimes require a setup. If it's not the guage, it could also be the the string height. Adjusting the bridge just a bit, in conjuction with string size could cause that "rattle" also.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

I'd try just raising the bridge under the low E string a bit. Even just a centimeter of adjustment is a huge adjustment on a guitar bridge. Just put it back where it was, and you'll be find. Do not discard the strings, they are not the problem.

ReplyQuote
(@gotthelife)
Topic starter  

Thank you for the welcome and quick responses. It does sound a little bit better but i think i'm going to try Xg5a's idea.. I should be able to loosen up the strings enough to be able to raise it. By he way the strings that I had on before were the 10-50's. These strings feel a hell of a lot better.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Thank you for the welcome and quick responses. It does sound a little bit better but i think i'm going to try Xg5a's idea.. I should be able to loosen up the strings enough to be able to raise it. By he way the strings that I had on before were the 10-50's. These strings feel a hell of a lot better.

Well if they were 10's then the 9's shouldn't be that much of a change. Try Xg5a's idea, it probably going to work.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote