Notifications
Clear all

heard of the EMG PA-2?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@ikingtan)
Topic starter  

well it's supposed to give your pick-ups some added boost when you turn it on. it's like turning your passive pick-ups into active EMGs with the flick of a mini-switch. you can check it out at the EMG website.

i had a friend install it on my washburn H/s/s a few weeks ago and it DID give an added boost to my sound, now i can hear a slight crunch when i crank up the volume pot while using my humbucker. :) the tone my pickups give also improved.

i have a little problem though. i have a korg multieffects which is pretty handy when switching from clean to heavy distortion sounds. my guitar was doing well with this before the upgrade. because of the PA-2, i had to turn down the master level on my effects so as not to destroy my amp. i had it ok using the clean settings but when i put in the distortion, it sounded a little weak.

here's how i'd sum up my obervations.. clean setting: PA-2 "on" has added boost and gives nicer tone compared to PA-2 switched off. with distortion: PA-2 "on" is not much different than with PA-2 "off". what's up with that? :shock:

any ideas? thanks!

...he is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot loose...

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Have you adjusted the trim potentiometer on the EMG-PA2. With that trim pot you can set the amount of boost of the overdrive or distortion. You do understand this increase is to overdrive the input of whatever its plugged into. Which its designed to overdrive the input of an amplifier, overdriving the effects may not be to healthy for it.

Did the person that installed it for you use the manual to install it? They recomend that it be installed last in the chain. Also the manual says to boost the signal of EMG pickups, of course this could just be a plug for their pickups. Maybe check the manual and see how it's wired in.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@ikingtan)
Topic starter  

thanks joe,

yup, i'll be talking to the guy who installed them soon. i thought, since they would also work with passive p/ups and my pickups were seymour duncans anyway, i wouldn't have any problems. catch you later bro! thanks again!

...he is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot loose...

ReplyQuote