String Length Adjustment

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Here's a question-

I bought an Epi LP Standard out a month ago. I tune the low E using a tuner. Then I play it at the 5th fret, but instead of getting a perfect A it is sharp- noticably so. It's definitely out of tune with the 5th string.

I ashed a guitar playing friend at work and he said it was because the string length is not set right. I can see how the adjustment is made there at the bridge. There is a set screw that adjusts the sadddle for each individual string.

If this is right, in which direction do I adjust it, to make it longer or shorter? Also, do I have to remove the string to make the adjustment.

Also, on this guitar I get what sounds like some fret buzzing from time to time, although the action does not seem too low. However, the strings sound clean through the amp. Is this normal? Do I need to be concerned about it?

Thanks in advance, gang.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

It's called Intonation.

Tune your open strings on your tuner. Play the harmonic at the 12th fret of the first string (E). The harmonic is the absolute center between the nut and the bridge. Hold the note down at the 12th fret and check it on the tuner. If the notes are the same then everything is fine.

If the note is flat it means the distance between the nut and the bridge is a little to long. you'll have to adjust the saddle by moving it closer to the nut, If the note is sharp, it means the distance between the nut and the bridge is to short, you'll have to lengthen it.

You may have to do this a few times, tuning the string every time and rechecking it until you have set right. These adjustment are often very small so be careful and work slowly you'll get the hang of it. Now do all the strings the same way and everything should be fine.

Yes, on some guitars it seems like they do buzz or rattle on some frets. If its that noticeable you could raise the action/ string height, but then you'll have to reset the intonation. if you like the way the guitar plays and it feels good to you I would just leave the string height were its at.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So then I gather you adjust it with the string still in place. Do you at least have to loosen it to remove tension from the saddle before you make the adjustment, then retune and check the setting afterwards?

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes, you tune it and make adjustments while its tuned. if you make any adjustment it will go out of tune a little, retune and check it again. Remeber you shouldn't have to turn the screws very far, just make small adjustments and keep tuning it and checking it. It takes alittle time but well worth it. You'll get hang of it.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

It's best to use a very accurate tuner to do it. Peterson virtual strobes are pretty nice. Much more accurate than chromatics.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote