Clear all

i think i broke my guitar

37 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

i went ahead and tightened the truss rod down again. it seems to be playing fine. but now the strings seem to be really loose.
OK so lets get back to basics and make sure everything is OK.

First check to make sure it is in tune.

Then check the neck relief and adjust it so it is around 10 thousandths or 2 to 3 MM or so. Use the "fret the string at 1st and 14th fret" method. Remember that turning the truss rod nut clockwise will decrease the gap at the 7th. Only turn it a little at a time like 1/8 of a turn or so in either direction and see if the gap changes.

Then check the string height at the 12th fret without fretting anything.

Then tell us what the measurements are.

By the way, if the gap does not change when turning the nut then you may need to try what Demo suggested just be careful not to mess up the threads on the rod.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Oh yeah, the strings may feel looser if the action is closer to right.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

For that tapping on the trussrod - that might be a time where it would be better to have the strings loose so nothing suddenly snaps into place.

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

the unfretted height of the strings at the 12th is about 2-3 mm. The relief is about the same.

edit: tapping doesn't seem to be doing anything. is it possible that this guitar is just messed up from the factory. or, squires just have less of a relief? or, i am just measuring wrong?

edit: it is also a fairly new guitar.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

2 to 3 MM's for string height is pretty close but extremely high for the relief.

Try reading through the setup steps on my pages below and see if you are measuring it right.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

the strings seem to be pulling the neck. I didn't notice this before. I still have the nut off.

All the strings went flat. The relief has increased slightly. I retuned the strings and I'm waiting to see if there is a difference.

Is this bad to do? i.e. Is the a danger of snapping the neck or something similar?

I checked your page and I have been making the measurements correctly.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

The strings put too much tension on the neck so you need the truss rod active to protect the neck.

Put the nut on the truss rod with some tension IMMEDIATELY. Just put the nut on and turn it until it just starts to feel like it made contact then turn it 1/4 of a turn more. Now with just a little tension on the truss rod tune it. Then check the relief and adjust it slowly until you have it right. Then let the guitar set over night, re-tune it and re-check the relief and adjust if necessary. Once the relief settles in then adjust the action.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i am at work right now. i will put the nut back on in 3.5 hours.

edit: i just ran home and took care of it.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

just take that thing in for a $25 setup.

You are so far away from making an adjustment from a detente position that you really need a pro to look.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

So, what's the update?

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have not taken it to the shop yet. I do not particularly like the people at my local shop.

I will be going home for the summer in a few weeks and I will take it to the shop there.

Neck relief is still about 1 mm with minimal or no change.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Oh no, I was just wondering if you'd tightened it a bit as per what Nils said, and if anything had moved or changed. The shop would be a good idea, but I didn't know if you had gone ahead and tightened the thing up yourself.

You know, wood takes awhile sometimes to bend.

Take care.

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

How long does the wood take to bend? I am going on days now with little / minimal change.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

yah, should'a been there by now. Maybe best to go have a setup done when you can.

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

well, i broke a string today and have been noticing static when moving the knobs so i decided that I might as well take the guitar to the shop out here.

At first glance, the guy at the counter thinks that the neck has too much relief and that tightening the truss rod is needed. I have some fret buzzing... so... will tightening it down do the trick? oh well, they know about guitars than i do.

I had to leave it with them. I guess i will just have to wait and see how it turns out.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3