Clear all

Identifying wiring problems

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@zimzaladim)
Topic starter  

Hi,
I've got an archtop Ibanez artcore AF75. Recently the output is zilch when the pickup selector is at the neck switch. I have already done some minor guitar surgery to see if anything was obviously wrong (pickup still attached to wire, and selector switch seems soldered ok). I wondered if I can identify the culprit before attempting to yank out all the innards.
Here are the symptoms:
The volume and tone controls for the bridge pickup work as normal.
With both volume switches up, the middle position responds to the neck and bridge tone pots.
With pickup selector in middle, the volume for the neck pickup volume pot does nothing until it hits zero, and then it stops.
With pickup selector in neck position there is no output.

Thoughts?

(@lesspaul)
Trusted Member

With both volume switches up, the middle position responds to the neck and bridge tone pots.
With pickup selector in middle, the volume for the neck pickup volume pot does nothing until it hits zero, and then it stops.

These two sentences are confusing.

How do all volume and tone pots behave when the selector switch is in the middle position. For example, do you still hear sound when the bridge volume pot gets turned all the way down if not i'd say you have a problem in or connecting to the neck pick up. If you so, i'd swap out the switch.

Also, can you confirm this is a 3 position switch?

Hope this helps!

~Yours Troubadorly,
http://www.sergiopaulomusic.com

ReplyQuote