Clear all

Intonation Adjustment On Telecaster

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm having a bit of a problem adjusting the intonation on my MIM Tele. The bridge has the one adjustment per string type. It's too sharp on the 12th fret when tuned properly open. I use the Keith Richards tuning, but that should not matter, right? Anyhow, it's the 5th string. In this case, the low G.

Anyhow, even doing whole turns of the screw, I do not end up any better than I was. I follow these steps.

#1: Tune my string to G in the open position.
#2: Check the tuning at the 12th fret. Too sharp. Curse.
#3: Turn that stupid screw clockwise.
#4: Re-tune the string to G in open position.
#5: Check the tuning at the 12th fret and discover no improvement. Curse louder. Scare the dogs and wake the cats.

What am I forgetting to do?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Your prodecure looks correct in principle. Though when you get it to work, I recommend you check the 2nd and 14th fretted note to see if they track. This removes the "nut factor."

Improbable cause, but worth a mention: Make sure the 5th string G, fretted at the 12th is really fretted at the 12th. It might be hitting the 13th fret, and that would put things way outta wack. Also, for lower tension tuning (A down to G, right?), you may need to "turn CW" quite a bit on that bridge saddle to make the string signifcantly longer than it was as an A.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Your prodecure looks correct in principle. Though when you get it to work, I recommend you check the 2nd and 14th fretted note to see if they track. This removes the "nut factor."

Improbable cause, but worth a mention: Make sure the 5th string G, fretted at the 12th is really fretted at the 12th. It might be hitting the 13th fret, and that would put things way outta wack. Also, for lower tension tuning (A down to G, right?), you may need to "turn CW" quite a bit on that bridge saddle to make the string signifcantly longer than it was as an A.

Thanks gnease. I'll check those two tomorrow. One3 question I thought of today. Should I loosen the tension of that string before adjusting the screw? (and subsequently tune the stting and check when complete.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I was just about to suggest that you loosen the string before adjusting it. :D

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

That did it. Took about 2.5 full turns, but finally got it there.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

It sounded to me like you were doing everything right ......... :? So it's good now?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It sounded to me like you were doing everything right ......... :? So it's good now?

It's good except that capo thing I described in another thread. The intonation is on now.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

2.5 turns on the intonation adj is not a wild adjustment. I suspect you were just being too conservative in your tweaking. Bridge adjustments are not as dramatic as truss rod adjustments.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

2.5 turns on the intonation adj is not a wild adjustment. I suspect you were just being too conservative in your tweaking. Bridge adjustments are not as dramatic as truss rod adjustments.

You might be quite right. I did probably 2 tries of 1/4 turns and then 2 tries of 1/2 turns. Turned it all back when I "determined" it was not taking effect. Oh well, at least I didn't go running to a guitar tech with $50 in hand..... :D

Roy

ReplyQuote