Notifications
Clear all

Broken Tuning Pegs on an Acoustic

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@davefan13)
Topic starter  

Ok, here's the deal. I have recently become interested in playing some acoustic guitar as well as the electric that I already play. I got my dad's old acoustic out of the basement, and found out that there was a broken peg on the bridge.

http://musiced.about.com/od/musicinstruments/ig/Parts-of-the-Guitar/Parts-of-the-Guitar.--9m.htm

They are the white things in this picture, and the round part is broken off. What is left is just a little lump above the bridge, but not big enough to grab onto, even with pliers. I have reached inside and tried to push it up, but it won't budge.

Any suggestions would be awesome!

Thanks

(@henry-b)

Take it to your local guitar shop, they should be able to advise/fix. :D PS,they are not tuning pegs.

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Hi Dave. Welcome to GN. That happens a lot with older plastic bridge pins. Try using a quarter or even the back of a teaspoon and try to push the pin up and out of the bridge. Make sure the string is loosened and try to push the string down into the hole while pushing up on the pin from the underside. It might 'pop' out but it will work. Your local guitar store should have replacement pins. I'd replace them all. Good luck.

Denny

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Push it up from the inside, like the man said. Dun be ascared.......

ReplyQuote
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

I recommend you take all the other pegs out so that the troublemaker is all by himself.

Then use something with weight to gently tap it out. The only correct direction for it to go is out. Don't try to push it in further (like you might with a fish hook).

When you put the strings & pegs back don't jam the pegs in really hard. Just snug is fine. The brass collar on the end of the string catches under the wood and the peg just keeps it from moving around. Pushing or pounding inward can split and crack the bridge wood.

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote