Clear all

More wiring help

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Do I have to use a shielded cable to go from the ground and middle terminal on the volume pot to the respective jack points? Id like to just use two lengths of stranded 22 gauge wire because shielded aidio is so hard to work with.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

(@timezone)
Estimable Member

When I rewired my LP knockoff, I used shielded wire everywhere, just cuz... However I'm pretty sure my strat knockoff is wired w/ standard wire, and it's not too buzzy except when I try to play right in front of the TV or computer. (Sheilding would probably make a bit of difference there.) If your body cavity is well-shielded (didn't I see you post in another thread about shielding the body cavity?), then it probably doesn't matter at all. You've been busy lately, eh? ;)

TZ

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I didn't mean like bare wire I was refering to the wire wrapped around an insulated wire like CoAxial cable.Yea I've been trying to track down a problem with my wiring and for the life of me I can't figure it out.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

How would I go about testing the five way switch? Mine doesn't have two sides all the lugs are inline.

ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

re the coax, yeah, that's what I mean by shielded wire too. If I can't find any around, I'll sometimes just cut up an old audio cable (like an RCA patch cable that I'm not using for anything any more or something), and use that. oh wait... If by coax, you mean the real thick stuff like what you run your cable TV with, that's definitely harder to work with, find some thinner stuff. Like I said, RCA patch cables and headphone cables are often shielded and are a good scavanged source of shielded wire. Even better if you can dig it from your neighbour's dumpster. ;) My guitar's wiring is done mostly with the cable of a crappy pair of headphones that I was just going to throw away. The wire was still useful though.

As for testing switches, I don't even remember how the 5-way switch on a strat is supposed to work... but my general method of testing switches is to push the switch all one way, put my meter in continuity tester mode, then move the probes around among the various contacts until it beeps (to see which are connected together for that position). Then I push the switch to the next setting and do the same thing, etc until I know what every position of the switch does to the various contacts.

TZ

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks I think I've got this thing licked! I'll put it back together tomorrow and check it out. I'll keep you posted.

ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote