Clear all

need a good screw

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Let's suppose a "friend of mine" has this "strange dream" in which he screws the bridge down onto the top of his acoustic guitar... using six round-topped wood screws... and uses the tops of the screws as saddles for the strings to sit on.

Is this feasible or a really stupid thing to do? How do you think it would affect the sound quality of the guitar (which is already bad)?

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The tone will change. But I can't tell you exactly how, except that part of the change will likely include a drop in volume and an increase in sustain due to the increased bridge mass.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I think you'd break a lot of strings.

At some point, no matter how it's oriented, the string will cross the slot in the screw, right? .... and no matter how that slot is oriented, or where the string is placed in relation to dead center, the string is going to pass over it at the 'crown' of its path over the screw head, right?

So every time the string vibrates, you'll be 'bumping' it against a nice hard (and maybe even sharp) edge.

Yeah, I know the oscillations of the string don't start right at the saddle - but the energy still gets there. Otherwise it wouldn't matter if you had burrs on the saddle.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@freaky_nell)
Eminent Member

martin,

I got 1 question:

- what size screws did you use?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I think you'd break a lot of strings.

At some point, no matter how it's oriented, the string will cross the slot in the screw, right? .... and no matter how that slot is oriented, or where the string is placed in relation to dead center, the string is going to pass over it at the 'crown' of its path over the screw head, right?

So every time the string vibrates, you'll be 'bumping' it against a nice hard (and maybe even sharp) edge.

Yeah, I know the oscillations of the string don't start right at the saddle - but the energy still gets there. Otherwise it wouldn't matter if you had burrs on the saddle.

Maybe he should use stringsaver screws :wink:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

How about lining all the screws up perpendicular to the string direction and epoxying a small bone saddle through the screw slots. :D

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Thats an interesting thought. Individual adjustable strings. better call the Patent and Trademark Office.

I remember hearing James Jameson, Bass player for the funk brothers dad learned to play bass by screwing wire to the outside of the house. He spent many hours practicing and now look at the legacy.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Well, my guitar now has six screws in it instead of a bridge and it seems to be playing pretty well!

I will post back later with some photos... that's after I've finished setting it on fire :D

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Great to here it worked out for you. I see I'm not the only one that gets creative when it comes to guitars.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

referring to the name... dont we all?
as for the project.. cool stuff. not something I'd personally do but hey whatever works for you. I'm in the process of restoring a crappy broken strat copy to something useful. gonna set the neck up nice, block the trem, and upgrade the pups. nothing as facinating as your project, but its fun.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Personally, I can't wait to see the pictures!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I said that once to my girl friend and got my face slapped.

Joe

ReplyQuote