Notifications
Clear all

Used Gibson SG custom!!!

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rtaz23)
Topic starter  

I just got a used Gibson Sg custom on ebay for really cheap but it needs a lot of work. I'd like to replace all the hardware, pick-ups and tuners. Also clean the thing up. If I take it to somewhere like Guitar Center how much do you think that should run me? There are no scratches or bucklemarks and the neck is straight. Also any suggestions on what pick-ups and tuners I should go with. Like to play rock and metal. Thanks

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Lets see, if you take it to a shop it could run you:

Pickups - average $60+ each (no recommendation but Gibson pickups are pretty good IMHO)

Tuners - $40 and up a set. Recommend Grovers 14:1 or higher

Pots (tone and volume $5 each ) - $20

Switch - $20

Strings $3 to $12

Nut - $8 to $10

Labor for all the above should be around $150 or more including a full setup.

I would take it to a shop and just ask them to go over it and tell you what they think it needs.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Go take a look at http://www.stewmac.com

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

What's the year on it?

If it's more than a few years old, I would say hold on to that original hardware, store it somewhere.

You shouldn't need new pickups, maybe new covers if they're really messed up, but the main part of the actual pickup should be fine, and they should cover all sorts of rock and metal with no problem. If you're set on replacing pickups... that's taste I suppose, but remember that they're not going to change the fundamental tone of your guitar, only accentuate different aspects of it. If you can't get the sound you want out of it, I'd recommend replacing your amp first, maybe try out some effects pedals, but pickups would be a little lower on the list.

Most of that other stuff you should be able to replace by yourself no problem. Tuners, bridge, tailpiece, knobs, should all come off with a little coercing. The bridge and TP should actually fall off with no strings on the guitar.

That would leave you with just a setup needed from an actual tech. Don't know what the going rate is around there, but likely somewhere between $20-50.

Lots of good info over in the Les Paul Forum, they have a seperate area to discuss the finer points of the "other gibsons": which includes SG's, Flying V's, etc. They'll also be able to recommend good aftermarket brands for electronics, like RS Guitarworks and Blackrose Custom, which will have top notch stuff, the price is usually a little higher, but you get what you pay for, skip the allparts stuff they sell at GC if you're looking for a serious sound upgrade.

Linky linky: http://www.lespaulforum.com

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@rtaz23)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replys.

Undercat - it's a 2002. I could probably do it myself but i'd rather have a pro do it. Money is really not an issue I was just looking for a ballpark figure.

Thanks Nils

ROCK ON!!!!!

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Your welcome and good luck.

Half the fun of buying a used guitar is tweaking it to your liking. Some of the things that are fun with it is doing what you can yourself. Find a compromise and do what you can yourself and get the more complex things done by a pro. The satisfaction level will be real high.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

One could expect from a quality repair shop, repair rates can vary.
A full time repairman can have as much training time and investment in tools.

SET UP $45.00 -60.00
NEW NUT- $45.00 may or may not include raw material.
INSTALL LOCKING/ROLLING NUT- $45.00 plus part
REPLACE TUNERS- $30
FRET LEVELING- $65.00 and up.
RE-FRET- $225.00 Add $25 - $50 for fretboards with binding.
HEADSTOCK CRACK- $100.00 and up, by quote.
FINISH TOUCH UP-$20.00 and more by quote.
REFINISH-$350.00 and up.
DIAGNOSE ELECTRICAL PROBLEM-$30.00
REPLACE JACK-$20.00-$30.00 part may be extra
REPLACE PICKUP-$25.00-$35.00 per pickup
REPLACE VOLUME/TONE POT - $20.00
REPLACE SWITCH-$25.00- $35.00 plus part.

Joe

ReplyQuote