Notifications
Clear all

New strat....bridge concerns

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@pyrogal)
Topic starter  

So, I just picked up a mexican strat hss with a temolo bridge, and I stuck some d'addario 10 gauge strings on there rather than the factory 9's...and the bridge bent up like crazy. i'd say it was close to a 40 degree angle. i wasn't sure if this was bad so i loosened the strings back up.

i don't know much if anything about the technical side of guitars, i was just wondering if i can deal with that, if i should fix the bridge into place (and if so, how?), or if i should just get some super slinkys on there.

thanks

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

You need to take off the rear cover and tighten the trem spring tension to counteract the additional tension in higher gauge strings. This is usually done by screwing the the claw (at one end of the springs) further into the body wood to stretch the springs, thereby increasing tension. Unless you begin this whole process by temporarily blocking the bridge plate or interia block (that big piece o metal strings into which strings are anchored) so the bridge plate remains at its proper angle upon installing the strings, this process will be interative (tighten strings, tighten springs, tighten strings ,,, etc). If you first block the bridge (with wood or plastic wedges) to stay fixed at the correct angle with original strings, then you may remove and replace the strings, adjust intonation and tuning, then finally remove the blocks (bridge now moves to that 40 degree angle) and tighten the trem springs just enough to return the bridge to the proper angle. If done correctly, the strings will be nearly in tune, and now only require a tweaking.

You might want to consult a friend who is familiar with all of this, or take it to a tech for the adjustment. In addition to trem springs and intonation, don't forget to check the nut and neck relief (truss rod adjustment) set up with these new gauge strings. Those are important too.

... and IMO 10s are better than 9s on a Strat. Stay with them.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I agree. keep the tens. strats sound great with them.
and I agree about all the readjusting needed. take your time.
a tech could do it for minimal $ .

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@pyrogal)
Topic starter  

thanks much. i'm going to try to do this all myself, i bought this guitar with the intention of learning about tech stuff with it. just a mexican strat haha.

i've been playing for about 5 years but i play jazz guitar professionally, so i'm very familiar with the hollow bodies, but a solid body electric has been embarassingly beyond my reach although i have several. thanks again.

p.s. i am also planning on customizing this guitar with some new hardware, new pickguard, etc....any recommendations for pickups? especially the hum. i'm looking for pickups that will sound great clean but give a fairly heavy distorted sound. the clean part is really important; i did't like how the stock pickups were handling it before i switched strings.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Plus.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Another option, if the screw is too tight to turn, or if you're worried about cracking/stripping the whole it's in, is to add another spring to the trem. Easy to do.

Ande

ReplyQuote
(@fendershreder7)

wel hello there
i have a very simple solution
you have to change the strings one by one to keep the tension even on the bridge

change high e then low e then b then a and so on

i had the same problem with my first strat.

-darren

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

wel hello there
i have a very simple solution
you have to change the strings one by one to keep the tension even on the bridge

change high e then low e then b then a and so on

i had the same problem with my first strat.

-darren

You missed the part about the gauge change. That means it will need the spring tension adjustment as described above.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote