Skip to content
Newbie has a questi...

Notifications
Clear all

Newbie has a question about fret interference.

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 wb72
(@wb72)
Topic starter  

I just picked up an acustic guitar from a friend who hasn't played it in 15 years. When I got it home and put on a new set of strings, it played well untill you hit the 4th fret and then the string hits the 15th fret (right where the neck meets the body of the guitar). in essence, I can't play anything that requires fret 4 to fret 15.

The neck or the body are cracked in any way, is there an adjustment that I can have done to get rid of that problem?

If nothing else, could I replace the bridge with a slightly taller one?

Is there any help out there for me? Thanks.

(@mitchell)
Eminent Member

The advice i've seen around this board is that you should take it to a good guitar shop. Have them give it look over and let them fix what ever is wrong.

Just don't get freaked out when the flex the heck out of the neck of your guitar, that's normal.

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

it sounds more like truss rod problems than action problems.
adjusting the russ rod is very tricky, so unless you arent too afraid to break the guitar, id bring it to a profesional, or at least someone who knows well what they are doing.

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member

If its the truss rod and you really are a newbie, do yourself a big favour and take into a shop and let them adjust it...

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

The truss rod isn't all that hard to work, however, screw it up and the results are disasterous.

If you tighten or loosen by no more that a quarter turn at a time, and you don't force it, you'll be fine.

First you have to see if it's the relief that is the issue, or it's a warped neck.

Capo the guitar at the first fret and fret where the G string meets the body. Take a look under that G string. You should have less than a low E strings width under it. If you have more, tighten the truss rod about a quarter turn.

Give it about a half an hour and check again.

Don't over tighten and don't try to make the neck straight.

ReplyQuote
 wb72
(@wb72)
Topic starter  

Is the truss rod the allen head bolt that you can see in the sound hole of the accoustic?

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

That's the truss rod adjustment nut, yes. The truss rod itself lies under the fretboard.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote