Clear all

Rattling sound on bass string on a classical with a trussrod

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Long topic, but pretty self explanitory. On my epiphone c-45 im getting something like a rattling sort of sound on my bass strings. It has a trussrod so that /may/ need to be adjusted. Please let me know what you think.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

If it's a rattle and not fret buzz, the first thing I check on my classical is for errant string ends at the bridge vibrating against the top. Pretty common problem unless one is careful about trimming and/or dressing those string ends sticking out of the bridge knots. The bass strings are usually the worse offenders due to the windings.

After that, I check for loose tuners (screws work loose), as well as string ends vibrating on the headstock end.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

hmm. Clipped the strings, and doesn't seem to be comming from the tuners... Im still leaning towards truss rod, although i dunno if it can only afect the bass strings as opposed to all...or maybe im not hearing it on the nylon...

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Has the metal winding round the nylon core deteriorated and broke?

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Has the metal winding round the nylon core deteriorated and broke?

A :-)

Another good point.

AFA the truss rod, do you mean it's rattling or in need of adjustment to prevent fret buzzing? If it is rattling -- and this is possible -- it may be loose due to aging/humidity changes in the neck and you should only need to "snug it up." How to tell? It would probably rattle if you tap the fingerboard in various places with your fingers or knuckles (not too hard).

A do have one classical that rattles because one of the braces needs re-glueing. Took me quite a while to figure this out. Did it by putting slight pressure at various places on the top while plucking the offending strings. Rattle got better and worse depending upon where I pressed. But I've avoided fixing it, since it's not played very often. Hopefully this is not your problem.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Alan, they're new strings so it is possible that they were faulty to begin with, so I'll check that out. Gnease, this was a classical of a family member that I discovered and was given to me, so aging/humidity is a possibilty for the truss moving around. I'm definetly gonna adjust it and see what happens. Is it just alan keys you need? Metric or imperial...if anyone knows.

Thanks, to all who responded.

ReplyQuote