Notifications
Clear all

Rewire problem on a strat

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@txridindirty)
Topic starter  

I completely rewired my strat and replaced all of the electronics (its a Squier). I have sound in position 3 4 and 5 on the switch but position 1 and 2 have no sound at all. any ideas on what could be causing this? I wired it based on this diagram on the Fender site except I did not ground the trem claw to the output jack, I grounded it to the volume pot with all the other grounds.....So do I have a short? Bad switch?

http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/stratocaster/0109200A/SD0109200APg2.pdf

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

if it were only position 1, I'd say open circuited (broken wire) neck pup.
as it is failing on 1 and 2, I'll guess a short circuited (hot connected to ground) neck pup or section of the neck pup switch. measure the resistance between the neck pup hot lead (soldered to the switch) and ground. Is it close to zero? That's a short -- inspect the wiring and the soldering for the neck pup, looking for a melted wire touching ground or a solder blob in the wrong place. good luck

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@txridindirty)
Topic starter  

Yeah, I thought it had to be a short because position 1 is neck only and position 2 is neck + middle and the middle pickup is working in position 3 so that tells me that position 1 and 2 are shorted out. I am going to change the switch out to see if that solves my problem.

Thanks for the input!

ReplyQuote