Clear all

screw holding strap on has pulled out

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@brotha_down)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

ive had my epiphone for about a month now and the screw that holds the strap to it (top side when on my stand or left side when playing) has always come a lil loose and once in a while has pulled out.. im pretty sure the hole is stripped and there are no threads to hold the screw in... is this a common problem and if so is there an easy fix?

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Easy as pie. Coat the screw with paste wax or lightly oil it. Put some wood glue (e.g. Borden's Carpenter's Wood Glue) down in the hole. Put the screw back in it. Wipe off any excess glue that squooshes out. Let it dry for 24 hours. Good as new.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Or, even better, if you bought it new from a dealer, take it back and have them fix it.  

;D

New instruments should come with a warrenty of at least a month.

Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'll agree with taking it in being you said it was new.

Stripped or worn screw holes needs to be plugged (with wood) and re drilled. You have to realize that the button supports the the guitar, and if your moving around while playing even more stress is added.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Another option, take out the screw, break a wooden toothpick in half, coat it liberally with elmer's or wood glue and stick it in the hole.

After it dries screw it all back together.  

Works like new.

ReplyQuote
(@brotha_down)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Another option, take out the screw, break a wooden toothpick in half, coat it liberally with elmer's or wood glue and stick it in the hole.

After it dries screw it all back together.  

Works like new.

haha dude thats crazy, i was doin a little improvising today and thats EXACTly what i did, haha.. its nice and snug for now

thanks for all the other suggestions.. and if i have more problems i am definitely takin it back and they WILL fix it for me... FREE (1 yr warranty)  :P

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I'm not sure, so you might as well read this and forget it, but by trying to fix it yourself don't you void the warranty?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Taking it inthey probably would have done the same exact thing except using a toothpick they would probably use a sliver or plug of matching wood.

ReplyQuote
(@brotha_down)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm not sure, so you might as well read this and forget it, but by trying to fix it yourself don't you void the warranty?

it may, but if i want to go through the hassle of actually getting it fixed (or take it in for them to do  the same thing) i could just take out the toothpick (i havent glued it) and theyll never know... plus i did call them last night and the guy suggested that i use a toothpick as well... so it is likely that if i took it in they probably wouldve done the same thing

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

I just took the opportunity to install custom straplocks (bigger screw, sewn strap hole, large steel washer with hole screw fits in)

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I was going to say toothpick too.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Wow!  Me too!  We could be like, toothpick brothers or advice buddies or something! :D

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Wow!  A brother in the way of the toothpick!

ReplyQuote