Notifications
Clear all

squealing pickups....PLEASE HELP

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@joshuaguy)
Topic starter  

the pick-ups of my guitar squeal like a bitch i know there not the best pickups im just wondering is there something i can do without buying new pickups or a noise supressor that will reduce the squeal?

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Turn down the volume and/or gain. Keep your guitar out of the sound beam from the amp speakers. Use an EQ to turn the frequency of the squeal way down.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

It's a sad fact but some amps / distortion pedals have more gain than is usable. You just have to back off a little. Tweaking the EQ can help a lot. Pickups can be a factor due to their tonal properties. Hollow or semi hollow guitars are feedback machines. You just gotta work with what you got to achieve a happy medium. My rig is set so as long as I mute the strings and keep out of that beam that Ric mentioned things are quiet. I like this so I can sustain notes into feedback if I so desire.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

You know, reading what I just wrote made me think of something. A lot of people write reviews about lower end metal guitars like my Schecter Omen 6 and complain that the sound is too dark. Well of course it is. That way you can crank the gain and volume higher without it squeeling. They are only trying to give people what they want. :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote