Clear all

Strange - truss rod

21 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@ddave)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Just doing some surfing myself .... the u channel rod is what it uses. I'm not 100% for sure but that's exactly what it looks like. Checked the Stew Mac site and it states that it is found in many production guitars. It's got to be what they use, like I said, looks exactly like it and your finding mention of Dean using them in their 12 string ....

Martin Style Truss Rod - U-Channel type. Heres a link ....

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Martin-style_Truss_Rods/Martin_Adjustable_Truss_Rod.html

ReplyQuote
(@ddave)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Then again .... it could very well be like this one ....

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?CategoryName=Truss+Rods%2FNeck+Parts&NameProdHeader=Truss+Rod+%2D+Standard+welded+end

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Wow, the plot thickens.

Could it have flipped over or installed upside down? I doubt it, but...

Well, we'll see if your recent adjustment did anything first.

ReplyQuote
(@ddave)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Nope, not flipped over, it's in their right if it's one of those 2. Seeing what little that can be seen, I now think it's more like the second one, rather than the U-channel. But really hard to tell with the nut on and maybe even with the nut backed out. Anyways, I'll check the relief again tonight.
I emailed Dean and asked but I'm betting I don't get a definitive answer. They are really pretty good at customer service but I'm not so sure that the local guys at Dean in Florida really know for sure the details about type of truss rods, switches, controls, fret wire and other "little things" that are being built into the guitars made in Korea and other parts of the world. We shall see however.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I have been following this thread and scratching my head. Based on anything I can find it seems to me that you are adjusting it right with little or no results. My guess is that the rod may be hung up in there somewhere.

If you find it did not make a difference tonight try to loosen the strings, back the nut out enough that it is not touching the cross piece in the hole. Then hold the body of the guitar against your body and gently pull back on the neck near the headstock. If it is stuck this may release it. Then go back and turn the nut back in until it touches, bring it up to tune and check the relief and slowly adjust it from there.

I had to do this with an old Gibson that sat up for a long time.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@ddave)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Got it ! Definitely relaxed overnight. Relief is pretty close to right on now. Leaving the truss rod cover off for a few days and I'll keep checking over the next few days to make sure it stays where it's at. But, it definitely is acting right now. I was thinking of possible explanations of why it reversed itself the first couple of partial turns. I can't come up with anything that makes much sense. I thought maybe that the entire rod assembly rotated inside the neck and maybe the edge of the flat bar was exerting more influence on the neck but I can see that it has remained centered in there. Then I was thinking that maybe a different area of the neck was affected with more rod influence/pressure eventhough the rod overall was actually being relaxed .... it made sense to me when I first thought about it but now, it seems like a stretch. Whatever it was, the rod seems perfectly intact and is now influencing the neck that way that is expected. There was already a tiny amount of relief when I started and I was just looking for a little bit more and all together, I'd say I've applied shy of 1/2 a turn total over the last few days. Seems like quite a bit considering the relatively small amount of relief that i got. But every neck acts a little bit differently to truss rod adjustments. So, I'm not going to worry about it other than keeping a watch on it over the next little while for overshoot. I've been playing long enough to be able to feel if it changes much at all.

I'll let the forum know if anything funky happens. If anyone has any more theories or whatever on this adventure, I'm all ears. Otherwise, THANKS all for the interest, input and help. I appreciate it .... this is a great board.
Usually a new poster to one of these boards doesn't get many replies, but y'all are great!

Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2