Clear all

strange tuning problem: open string and fret different

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@iwantcleanair)
Topic starter  

Hi -

I have a problem with the B string on my accoustic guitar. When I tune the open string, it plays flat on all fretted notes. I have used a digital tuner to verify that the notes are indeed flat.

Why would the string have a different tuning when played open vs fretted?

Why is only this one string affected?

What can I do to fix the situation?

Alan

(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Sound like that your intonation is out, a good setup will or should fix this.

Intonation is adjusting the string length by slightly moving the contact point of the string, usually at the bridge. Most guitars come with a rough setting, the saddle in your bridge will be trimmed to compensate and it's usually a compromise.

Also, high action will cause the intonation to be off. Pressing down on a high string will make it go sharp. See if the action is too high. Also, a good setup should fix this.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

Also, high action will cause the intonation to be off. Pressing down on a high string will make it go sharp. See if the action is too high. Also, a good setup should fix this.

This same thing is happening to my acoustic within the past few days but mine is going sharp as mentioned above. Yes my action is high however I've had it "setup" and the tech said he did the best he could. :cry:

It was a used Yamaha I got for $150 so I can't complain too much.

Plus it gives me ammo when telling my wife I just have to have a new guitar. This one's broken... :wink:

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Hows the nut slot? If it's too high or low this can affect intonation also. As far as the bridge goes, it is tough to adjust an acoustic. Sometimes close has to be good enough.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

Hows the nut slot? If it's too high or low this can affect intonation also. As far as the bridge goes, it is tough to adjust an acoustic. Sometimes close has to be good enough.

Beyond my expertise. I will take it into the local music shop and have it looked at. It sounded terrible last night. Makes it not so fun to practice...

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote