Clear all

Switching Out A Pickguard

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I just got a new pickguard for my Squier Strat and don't want to pay to have it put on by a tech. I was wondering if someone could give me a step by step or point me to a good tutorial before I start this? I don't want to mess with the pickups or knobs if I don't have to, but I want to get this done.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

All you should need to do is pull of the control knobs and the switch knob off.

Unscrew all the screws and lift the P/guard up and over the control knobs, and out from under the strings. Reverse the process to replace with the new P/guard. Keep in mind the screw holes may not all line up correctly.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Also maybe you could mark the pickup covers with a grease pencil or marker so when you put them into the new pickguard you can get them to approximately the same height they were in the old pickguard.

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, one more quick question. How do I get the knobs and selector switch "head" off? Just pull or...?

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

I was wondering this myself. If it is that easy, why do they sell "pre-wired" pickguards like on the " http://store.guitarfetish.com/ " website?

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I was wondering this myself. If it is that easy, why do they sell "pre-wired" pickguards like on the " http://store.guitarfetish.com/ " website?

They the sell the prewired guards for situation where you want to replace pickups, pots, etc all in one sitting without a ton of hassle. I just want to swap the pickguard and nothing else.

I did figure out how to get the knobs off but am still having issues with the selector switch since I can't figure out how to get the head off.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Just pull straight up and it should come off.

ReplyQuote